Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !
Just wonder if Toyota fixed the 8-Speed transmissions problems?
2017 has mechanical problems and '18 ..not sure about '19 year ..
On the market for cars ..
I heard that 8 speed always hunting for gears ..
Do 2019 Highlander has same problems this ???
I always follow the rule Dont buy "new" technology right away ....wait a little ..

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hi !
Just wonder if Toyota fixed the 8-Speed transmissions problems?
2017 has mechanical problems and '18 ..not sure about '19 year ..
On the market for cars ..
I heard that 8 speed always hunting for gears ..
Do 2019 Highlander has same problems this ???
I always follow the rule Dont buy "new" technology right away ....wait a little ..
Hunting for gears is Not a problem, it's a driving condition that allows the transmission to shift in to the next higher gear for fuel efficiency, then downshifts when the condition requiring more power in order to keep-up with the speed that the driver demands by how much the accelerator is depressed... If you as the driver is in that situation, have the ability to move the shifter in to the "S" mode and manually up/down shift accordingly.

EDIT: Come to think of it, if you think that is a "problem", a lot of the Nissan models and Honda CRVs may be your best bet as they are with CVTs.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,928 Posts
Could be a problem, could just be the nature of the beast. Some people hate it, some won't notice it. Everyone seemingly loves the 4-speed, everyone at one time hated the 5-speed, everyone complained a bit about the 6-speed, and not many people feel that the 8-speed is normal. We'll just have to wait for a 10 or 12-speed to come out and everyone will forget about the 8-speed.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hunting for gears is NOT normal
It's a problem
Its should NOT hunt for gear..
It does not hunt for gears that is nonsense, it can be caught out in a high gear in sub 50mph slow and go situations, but once one learns the proper throttle control and the vehicles transmission adapts to your driving style it is of little consequence, this might be apparent for the first 2K miles. Transmission issue affected a clusters of 2017 and 2018 models and was due to a tab not being bent on a locking nut during assembly, not anything faulty with the transmission, this vehicle is rated at 5000 lbs towing and 6000 lb GVW, so transmission is not going to be weak sauce.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
LOL, you have to be a lot more specific on your driving/road condition before claiming "hunting" and "problem". If you are cruising down a flat highway at a consistent throttle position (no strong head wind) and the transmission starts to shift between gears, yea, that may be an issue; otherwise, it's call down/up shift, especially, in a long up hill slop condition (or your vehicle is carrying load or towing a trailer etc.).

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
The "basic" transmission is basically works like this for gear ratio's:
  • 1st gear
    • 4:1
  • 2nd gear
    • 3:1
  • 3rd gear
    • 2:1
  • 4th gear (overdrive)
    • 1:1
  • After 5th gear
    • 0.xx:1
If anyone understands transmissions, please correct me. With how I understand it, "realistically" you only need 4 gears but in order to save on fuel you need to lower how much the engine is in use so you add on gears so that the ratio is smaller than 1:1 so if at 8th gear the engine is reving at 800 RPM at 80 mph compared to 5th gear the engine is reving at 2900 RPM at the spme speed you will most likely be saving more fuel with an 8-speed than a 5-speed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a 2017 V6 Tacoma with 9K miles and yes it does hunt for gears. Worst part is that if I go slow or roll down my hill to the intersection and then give it gas to make the turn there is NOTHING. Engine revs until a gear is found. Toyota actually put on my service invoice that the transmission will not work properly when the fluid shifts even when filled to proper level. They actually put this on record! My sons 2019 Tacoma has not yet had the same problem and I can only hope my new 2019 Highlander does not as well. That said there is an issue. The service manager stated Toyota knows of the problem but has NOT DONE ANYTHING yet. At least I am on record if something happens!!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have a 2017 V6 Tacoma with 9K miles and yes it does hunt for gears. Worst part is that if I go slow or roll down my hill to the intersection and then give it gas to make the turn there is NOTHING. Engine revs until a gear is found. Toyota actually put on my service invoice that the transmission will not work properly when the fluid shifts even when filled to proper level. They actually put this on record! My sons 2019 Tacoma has not yet had the same problem and I can only hope my new 2019 Highlander does not as well. That said there is an issue. The service manager stated Toyota knows of the problem but has NOT DONE ANYTHING yet. At least I am on record if something happens!!
I understand you want to express that your truck transmission has a shifting issue... But, Tacoma is comparable with 4-Runners, different engine layout/configuration than Highlanders (transverse mounted vs. longitudinal); needless to say very different transmission (apple and orange).

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Same engine or not, my post was talking about how the engine and transmission sit in the engine bay "(transverse mounted vs. longitudinal)". Definitely different transmissions.
In addition, the Tacoma is a 6-speed and not a 8-speed and I would assume that the Tacoma's 6-speed is belt for heavier duties compared to the 8-speed.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Tacoma V6 has Atkinson cycle engine. Not saying there wasn't a programming issue with the Tacoma transmission but a lot of the complaining seems like a cruise control issue, drivers that mostly drive on flat terrain using cruise control and then encounter hills, V6 engine with extra tall top gear does not anticipate its hitting a hill and falls into a hole of low torque and has to compensate by dropping a few gears to hit high power band and then seeks high gear again.Truck driven without cruise control, hill can be seen and extra gas applied to overcome this effect. Pickup truck shaped like a brick loses momentum. Saw a youtuber demonstrating their 6 speed manual Tacoma and it was obvious via video they were holding too higher gear too long in a hill and or not anticipating, stop being a lazy driver and use your head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is Not normal for transmission hunt for gears or want to stay in gear ..
It should be smooth..
For example compare 6 speed to 8 speed ..that's a difference..
Wait some time and we all will see that Toyota will sort this problem out ..
When I had Avalon '11 the transmission worked flawless ...no hunting no stay in gears no jerking ...

·
Registered
745 Posts
It is Not normal for transmission hunt for gears or want to stay in gear ..
It should be smooth..
For example compare 6 speed to 8 speed ..that's a difference..
Wait some time and we all will see that Toyota will sort this problem out ..
When I had Avalon '11 the transmission worked flawless ...no hunting no stay in gears no jerking ...
A car is not a truck, significant differences in drivability, a lot of drivers who have never driven trucks decide one day oh that truck looks mean I will forego the advantages of a car or even a crossover and buy a truck lol. I drove Toyota and other asian pickups in another country for nearly 25 years, they were all single cab, they had 4 cylinder engines either gas or diesel and manual transmissions, they ride like a cart and on the highway one has to constantly push the vehicle along, not like cars at all, now the more modern Tacoma might be a little more car like and has a V6 and auto transmission, but it still shares most of those traits from those 1980s and 1990s pickups. I test drove a 4 runner before buying a highlander and that was very much a truck, the highlander is more car like to drive it still not a car, the 4 runner TRD off road version was similar my 1990s Toyota hilux , remember that is what it evolved from. Leave the trucks to working men and adolescent 40 yr old red necks and grow up and drive a highlander lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I drove a truck's.. Nissan Titan '12 and Land Rover .. they both have smooth transmissions no hesitation or jerking ...
Again Toyota will improve their 8-speed tranny.. I hope ...
Because it's not Normal for transmissions ..
And if Toyota updating their software that means Not good that means they have problems.. simple as that

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I drove a truck's.. Nissan Titan '12 and Land Rover .. they both have smooth transmissions no hesitation or jerking ...
Again Toyota will improve their 8-speed tranny.. I hope ...
Because it's not Normal for transmissions ..
And if Toyota updating their software that means Not good that means they have problems.. simple as that
LOL, You as a consumer have choices, in fact, so many choices! No need to insist it's a problem even response after responses have patiently explained to you the differences and expectation of higher gear ratio for fuel efficiency and etc. If you continue to insist, why not call Toyota USA to state your case and demand for fix on software, hardware and vaporware... In the mean time checkout Nissan Santra with CVT (smooooooth transmission) with your Nissan (Titan) dealer, Hey, you might get a return customer discount too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts