Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 SR5 P/U

It seems lately I have been going through dome light bulbs rather quickly. I think the last one I put it only lasted a few weeks. Anyone else have problems? Could it just be the kind of bulb I am buying, so something else with the dome light circuit?

The only thing that I can think of that may be causing it is my alarm. The alarm wiring taps into the dome light circuit (to see when the door is opened)....that is the only thing that I have done to the circuit myself. I don't know how it would affect it though...

Any suggestions?

·
Captain Obvious
90 Posts
I just got my dome light fixed yesterday, so I don't know how long the bulb will last.

Tried checking the bulb, the fuse, the switch, the wiring...no power to the wire up top, but the fuse was good. Took the entire fuse box loose to start tracing wires, and wtf, it starts working!

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
make sure youve got the right size fuse. how much power does the alarm circuit pull? check the voltage regulator on the alternator.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the fuse for the circuit is an issue... and as far as the voltage regulator, I don't know if that would be the problem because whenever the light has gone out is it when the truck is off (no extra voltage from the alt.)

I don't know what it could be.... maybe something to do with the alarm, but I don't know. The alarm is tapped into the dome light circuit, and when it dome light is activated (door open, ground contact), this creates a circuit for the alarm, letting it know the circuit is active.

Maybe current is going back through where the alarm taps in, creating too much voltage for the dome light.....if that's possible. Well, thats my best guess. Maybe a diode will help so the alarm won't be able to send a current to the dome light? I am probably not making any sense....

Any thoughts?

I will stick another light in there deal with it for now....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts