Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma 4x4
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently posted that my steering rack was leaking so over the weekend with a little research I swapped it out for another rack. It was a pain every step of the way....but its done. The only problem I have is with my steering wheel it is no longer straight (when wheels are straight). I tied it down, wrapped it with my seat belt to make sure it wouldnt move while I changed racks but I couldn't tell exactly where to put the splines from the new rack.

Do i adjust this through the steering wheel?

It it a hard job? I assume I need a puller?

·
nooB nooB noo
06 Taco
545 Posts
Sounds like the rack wasn't centered and or the tie rod ends weren't set properly. If you spin the steering wheel lock to lock do the wheels turn the same amount in each direction? I betcha they don't? Bad news is that you're probably off a spline or 2. Don't do anything with the steering wheel. Resetting it to be straight doesn't fix the problem. It only masks it.

I hate to say it, but you got to re-do the rack. If you're lucky you can just remove the mounts, slide the spline apart and move it before sliding it back together.

Good luck,
Larzzzz

·
Registered
2004 Tacoma
52 Posts
Ya, don't touch the steering wheel.
With the rack disconnected, use a tape measure to find out how far the tie rod moves from lock to lock. Half that measurement, set the tie rod there and there's your center. With the rack centered, if it's still not right, you need an alignment. You need to get an alignment anyway, just make sure everything is where it's supposed to be before you get it done.

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma 4x4
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys, I didn't want to hear it, but thanks LOL.

I will try what I can to get it lined up properly to straighten the wheel, hopefully there wont be too much dismantling. As for the spacing on my tire rod ends I measured the tire rods on my old rack that i took off they where set at 7" from center of tire rod stud to the lock nut on both sides. On the rack I put in (junkyard rack, good condition) the tire rod on the drivers side was 7", but the passenger side was 7 1/8". I did every thing I could to get the lock nut to move so I could adjust it, WD 40 a bunch of times and resorted to a torch but the bugger still wouldn't budge. I got the tire rod off the rack but couldn't budge it a bit. So after a long time and alot of swearing I gave up and put the tire rod on at 7 1/8" get someone else to screw with it when I get my alignment done.

Will that extra 1/8" make a big difference, could that through my steering wheel off??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts