Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it sounds like a silly question, but what is the best way to wash my Corolla?

I have a new corolla and would like to take care of it (unlike my previous cars,) so I thought I'd like to wash it regularly and keep it clean. But going to the carwash can get expensive, so I thought I'd have a go myself (I remember washing our car with my dad when I was but a young boy.)

But, to be honest, I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. For example, I know I'll use a bucket of hot water, but what kind of soap should I use? And what kind of cloth to scrub it with?

After I scrub it, I'm guessing I rinse it all off with cold water. Should I dry the car then (using a towel?) to stop water marks.

Also, there are alread sap marks on the paintwork. Someone said I should use wax for this. Is that correct, and if so what kind of wax? (and apply with what kind of cloth?)

As you can see, I am a bit clueless :rolleyes: , but would appreciate any advice on these issues from others out there with experience of car care.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Wow....

Just go to autozone or pep boys... and hit up the car wash section... go nuts. I use pretty much meguires everything.... Use terry cloths to apply wax. I use one of those mits to wash my car.

·
Still got love 4 the AE92
489 Posts
You need to go out and buy a few of the basic things:

-Some kind of car wash soap
-A wash mitt
-A good chamois
-maybe some other stuff that you think you'd want, like tire shine stuff, new car scent, etc.

First off, try to find a shady area or a garage to wash it in, because the sun will dry the water before you can get to it. Rinse the car first (always top to bottom). Now use the mitt with the soapy water and soap up the whole car. Rinse the soap off, and get the chamois damp. Wipe the car down with the chamois (this will keep water spots away). Add tire shine etc whatever else you want to do. If you want to wax it, use a nice soft rag - could be your sister's pajamas haha. You'll want to work in little areas. Put the wax on, let it sit a little bit, then buff it off (you can just use another rag if you don't have a buffer)

It's good that you asked this, cause I'm willing to bet there's lots of people out there that don't know but are afraid of asking/getting flamed. There you have it, car cleaning for noobs.:D

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
I like that new Mr.Clean Auto cleaner and a washmit.

Rinse, Spray with soap, Wash with mitt, Rinse, Spot Free Rinse, Drive away. 15 min flat.

Only downfall is that you go thru soap like crazy and the water filters are only good for 10 washes. So it adds up quickly...but still cheaper than the hand-car wash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of useful info here (and on the other thread), thanks.

Lets see. What is the purpose of wax on a car? The reason I ask (all of this) is that I brought my car to a carwash a couple of weeks ago and after they had finished I noticed what looked like little round spots of something or other still remaining on the hood. I asked why there was still marks on the car and he said it was sap from trees, and it would need waxing/buffing to remove them.

Does wax protect from this sort of thing? Can I remove these myself?

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
OK, forget everything these guys have told you. They'll just confuse you and spread disinformation.

1) Wash and dry your car
2) Polish your paint
3) Wax your car

If your car ever get's really dirty, with bugs, with a surface that's ruff to the touch, you need to use a clay bar on your car after washing, followed by another wash, plishing and waxing.

The spots on your car are water spots. Spot removal
Tar and bugs

If you want advice on toyota's, this is the best place. If you want to know about car care www.autopia.org is where you want to go to learn, and use their forums.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts