Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Camry SE V6
56 Posts
I don't know how those would look on the Camrys; I think Toyota missed an opportunity here to offer fogs on these cars that mount in the far corners of the front fascia, instead of those stupid faux air intakes. What is the point of those, especially when fog lamps could have gone there?

Perhaps the bigger question is...why did Toyota drop fogs for this car anyway?

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE 2.5L A25A-FKS
1,405 Posts
I don't know how those would look on the Camrys; I think Toyota missed an opportunity here to offer fogs on these cars that mount in the far corners of the front fascia, instead of those stupid faux air intakes. What is the point of those, especially when fog lamps could have gone there?

Cost.

·
Registered
92 Posts

The Japan model has fog lights. It's the US version that doesn't.

·
Registered
2008 Camry SE V6
56 Posts
The Japan model has fog lights. It's the US version that doesn't.
I didn't know that; makes me even madder...

THAT'S the way all SEs, XSEs and TRDs should look from the factory, IMO, across all regions.

That Camry is REALLY nice but the body kit pieces look a bit different from the State-side SEs and XSEs...is that an aftermarket kit or do the Japan-spec cars come like that?

·
Registered
2008 Camry SE V6
56 Posts
If they are a mass producer yes.
That's very surprising and difficult to accept; it wouldn't be cheaper, or the same cost, to put fogs there instead of those faux plastic housings? I mean, they provided fogs on previous SEs and XLEs, but all of a sudden it's too much for them to do?

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE 2.5L A25A-FKS
1,405 Posts
That's very surprising and difficult to accept; it wouldn't be cheaper, or the same cost, to put fogs there instead of those faux plastic housings? I mean, they provided fogs on previous SEs and XLEs, but all of a sudden it's too much for them to do?
Email to the Toyota Corporate about your complaint.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Camry XSE V6
422 Posts
It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

Most Camry buyers probably don’t care about fogs and would rather not pay for them. Good thing those who do can get them aftermarket soon (I hope).

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
13,520 Posts

Most Camry buyers probably don’t care about fogs and would rather not pay for them. Good thing those who do can get them aftermarket soon (I hope).
They probably don't even know they have them.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Camry XSE V6
422 Posts
Although, I do wish they had offered them as optional add-ons…but that means they would’ve had to allocate cost to it to have them ready just in case someone wanted them.

·
Registered
94 Posts

I wouldn't mind getting fog lights for my '18 LE...

·
Registered
92 Posts

Aftermarket fog lights are available now and have been for a long time. Literally every Camry on the Facebook group I'm in has them. It's probably one of the most common aftermarket changes people make.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Camry XSE V6
422 Posts
Aftermarket fog lights are available now and have been for a long time. Literally every Camry on the Facebook group I'm in has them. It's probably one of the most common aftermarket changes people make.
Yeah. I should’ve clarified. 2018-2020 has them available, but the 2021 refresh does not.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
2,307 Posts
The cost of adding a simple set of fogs is THAT much on a manufacturer?
Let's say that it costs Toyota $25 to put fog lights on a car.... just for the sake of argument... and let's imagine that 80% of them were SE or higher models with fog lights...

2018 Camry sales: 343,439 x 80%= 274,751 x $25 = $6.8 million.
2019 Camry sales: 336,978 x 80%= 269,582 x $25 = $6.7 million.
2020 Camry sales: 294,378 x 80%= 235,502 x $25 = $5.9 million.

Total savings by not having fog lights in 2018-2020= $20.4 million.

Let's also be really honest about something. Consumers in the midsize sedan market often are driven by price... or at least price is high up in terms of importance. Toyota, like most car makers, have gone to great lengths to cut costs so that they can keep the Camry affordable. Keep in mind that a Camry LE in 2001 had a base price of $20,415. With inflation, that would be $31,337. Toyota has been able to cut costs to the point where they can offer the 2021 Camry LE for a base price of $26,928... or effectively $4,400 less than what a 2001 would cost today with inflation included. Now consider that in order to stay competitive, Toyota has had to add a lot more equipment to the Camry... a 2021 Camry has a lot more safety and convenience features compared to a 2001 model. You can't have everything... so Toyota has, just like all other car makers, figured out ways to cut costs and eliminate features that they are betting that most owners don't care about... including fog lights.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
13,520 Posts
Let's say that it costs Toyota $25 to put fog lights on a car.... just for the sake of argument... and let's imagine that 80% of them were SE or higher models with fog lights...

2018 Camry sales: 343,439 x 80%= 274,751 x $25 = $6.8 million.
2019 Camry sales: 336,978 x 80%= 269,582 x $25 = $6.7 million.
2020 Camry sales: 294,378 x 80%= 235,502 x $25 = $5.9 million.

Total savings by not having fog lights in 2018-2020= $20.4 million.

Let's also be really honest about something. Consumers in the midsize sedan market often are driven by price... or at least price is high up in terms of importance. Toyota, like most car makers, have gone to great lengths to cut costs so that they can keep the Camry affordable. Keep in mind that a Camry LE in 2001 had a base price of $20,415. With inflation, that would be $31,337. Toyota has been able to cut costs to the point where they can offer the 2021 Camry LE for a base price of $26,928... or effectively $4,400 less than what a 2001 would cost today with inflation included. Now consider that in order to stay competitive, Toyota has had to add a lot more equipment to the Camry... a 2021 Camry has a lot more safety and convenience features compared to a 2001 model. You can't have everything... so Toyota has, just like all other car makers, figured out ways to cut costs and eliminate features that they are betting that most owners don't care about... including fog lights.
Android Auto is more needed than fog lights.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts