Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have a ridiculous problem. It is in the pictures below. After I open the door, the piece that I circled with red stays down. Then, to close the door, I have to lift the handle and lift that piece using something small like a pen or the car key. It happens every now and then.
What is the solution you think? I tried putting some lubricating oil but did not help. Now I consider replacing it, if cheap, but I cannot figure out what is the replacement part. I don't even know what it is called really.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it seems correct piece. Not as cheap as I had hoped, but seems like only solution.

·
Registered
235 Posts
@Alidemedi, I'm not certain but I'm wondering if there is an assist spring to help hold that up that may be broken or weak. Before I went to the effort of tearing the door apart to replace it, I might try the passenger door and see how the latch mechanism feels compared to the driver. How much effort to lock and unlock manually (door open using your key/pen trick). If there is any spring and it's the culprit you should feel a difference between them.

Otherwise it still could be a lube issue. What did you use to lubricate it? Some things will attract dirt and can cause additional issues. Maybe use a silicon spray can with an attached tube so you can direct it upwards into the pivot point of the latch. Since it's intermittent it seems likely to be a lube issue more than a failed component.

Just a couple thoughts....

Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts