Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked through all the threads I could find, and didn't see anything that applied, so figured I'd start a new one.

99 Camry that has 3 very tired actuators and 1 that was completely dead. The drivers door doesn't do anything at all. Figured it was time so I bought 4 new actuators. Tonight I installed the drivers one, and it doesn't do anything at all. If I hit the buttons on the driver door it will lock and unlock all the doors except the drivers. If I use the key and double turn, it will lock and unlock the other 3 as well. So I don't think the problem was the actuator. The old and new both don't do anything. Could use some help troubleshooting what could be the problem.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
could the problem be the door wire harness not getting any electricity to the drivers door lock actuator?
Sometimes the wires in that pass through the flex grommet between the body and the door break internally.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Start verifying continuity between the wires and the switch, the switch and the actuator. A 12 volt test light or a VOM should be all that you need.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,904 Posts
If not OE, actuator motor could be DOA. Also the various actuators are wired differently based on whether or not there's a factory alarm system.

+1 on broken door harness.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figured out what the problem was. I bought this vehicle as a non runner and have fixed it up to a daily driver, so I am uncovering lots of issues along the way. This thing had an aftermarket alarm, not the factory. Looking under the dash it was all mounted, but all the harnesses were disconnected. So this morning I went to the task of removing it and all the different connected wires on it. As soon as it was removed, the driver door actuator started working. Unsure how that happened, but it did.

Another question. Car didn't come with a key fob and I bought a new one (not knowing that mine never had an alarm system from the factory). Have looked at how to program it, but it says to jump two wires from my mirror switch harness, and my harness doesn't even have those wires. Does this mean my car never came with a key fob from the factory? Or is there another way to program it?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Good job on figuring that out.
If the car had aftermarket alarm, then the factory one has most likely been removed, and you would need to re-install it to use factory key fobs. Factory alarm has "SECURITY" light as one of the buttons to the left of the steering wheel, like in this post. I bet you don't have that. I've never heard of jumping any wires to program alarm. Factory unit has a button on the control unit that you press to program.
If you're interested, I have for sale a factory RS3000 alarm with 2 keyfobs that I removed from my 99 Camry when it got totalled. Harness, control module, GBS (glass breakage sensor), Security light, piezo buzzer, 2 remotes - the whole set. I'm asking $100 + shipping for it (remotes alone are $30 each).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good job on figuring that out.
If the car had aftermarket alarm, then the factory one has most likely been removed, and you would need to re-install it to use factory key fobs. Factory alarm has "SECURITY" light as one of the buttons to the left of the steering wheel, like in this post. I bet you don't have that. I've never heard of jumping any wires to program alarm. Factory unit has a button on the control unit that you press to program.
If you're interested, I have for sale a factory RS3000 alarm with 2 keyfobs that I removed from my 99 Camry when it got totalled. Harness, control module, GBS (glass breakage sensor), Security light, piezo buzzer, 2 remotes - the whole set. I'm asking $100 + shipping for it (remotes alone are $30 each).
Is that alarm a plug and play system or is it a lot of splicing wires the way the aftermarket was put in?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
It's plug-n-play except for 2 wires (horn and another one). This is the OEM Toyota VIP RS300 system, and that's how they came in 99.
It is much better inteegrated than almost any aftermarket alarm - you get convenience features such as:
  • dome light turns on when car is unlocked with remote
  • intelligent auto-lock features: if you unlock the car but don't open any doors, the car will re-lock itself after a minute or so.
  • if you leave the car but don't lock it, the car will arm the alarm but not lock the doors in case you left the keys inside. (aftermarket alarms that have this feature often lock the doors, too, and you're hosed if you forgot the keys inside). Auto-lock can also be disabled.
  • quieter piezo buzzer and side markers are used for lock/unlock confirmation, but horn and headlights are used if alarm is triggered.
  • has glass breakage sensor (high frequency microphone listening for shattering glass)
  • I believe this also supports trunk unlock functionality, though you'd need to wire in your own trunk unlock solenoid - factory ones are impossible to find. I never got around to implementing this though.
It's just a lot more polished of a system than anything aftermarket for the price.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's plug-n-play except for 2 wires (horn and another one). This is the OEM Toyota VIP RS300 system, and that's how they came in 99.
It is much better inteegrated than almost any aftermarket alarm - you get convenience features such as:
  • dome light turns on when car is unlocked with remote
  • intelligent auto-lock features: if you unlock the car but don't open any doors, the car will re-lock itself after a minute or so.
  • if you leave the car but don't lock it, the car will arm the alarm but not lock the doors in case you left the keys inside. (aftermarket alarms that have this feature often lock the doors, too, and you're hosed if you forgot the keys inside). Auto-lock can also be disabled.
  • quieter piezo buzzer and side markers are used for lock/unlock confirmation, but horn and headlights are used if alarm is triggered.
  • has glass breakage sensor (high frequency microphone listening for shattering glass)
  • I believe this also supports trunk unlock functionality, though you'd need to wire in your own trunk unlock solenoid - factory ones are impossible to find. I never got around to implementing this though.
It's just a lot more polished of a system than anything aftermarket for the price.
Do you have a pic of the system so I can see what it would take for install? Definitely interested.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Don't have pics of mine, yet, but here are the pics from an Avalon RS3000 system - it's same as one for the Camry, except for wires that go to ECU are several feet longer because the ECU lives under the driver's seat in Avalon and under the dash in Camry.
DSC_5202.JPG
And here's the end with all the connectors. Like I said, they're plug-n-play except for 1 or 2 wires.
DSC_5204.JPG

Finally, Kingdom934 did an extensive write-up on installing RS3200 (from 00-01) Camry into his 98 (98-99 were same, 97 was a little different and used earlier black remotes). The systems are very similar, so most information should apply to you. He had issue with one of the connectors being different, that obviously wouldn't apply to you as my car was a 99, same as yours.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Posting installation instruction, in case they help somebody in the future:

Here's the pic of the whole kit - ECU, GBS, "SECURITY" light with GBS microphone, Piezzo speaker, harness, remotes and manual.
2019-10-13 13.40.50.jpg

Single loooong Red-Yellow wire plug goes to the trunk latch connector, routed along the floor and into the trunk. This is so that alarm activates if the trunk is opened while the car is armed.

2 wires are not connected:
- G-B: Green with black stripe is for horn, splices into the loom that goes to the steering wheel, circled in red below
2018-10-10 17.16.41.jpg
- G-R: Green with Red stripe is for perimeter lights (side markers), which flash when car is armed/disarmed. GR wire in the bottom left corner connector of the interior fuse panel.
2018-10-10 17.16.24.jpg

The other disconnected wires are:
-Grey - antenna, just route it up from the ECU wherever ECU is mounted (usually zip tied to the dash support behind and above the fuse panel.
- Red and Black are for the Piezzo buzzer, as you need to snake those wires through the firewall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts