Toyota Nation Forum banner

door lock issue

769 17
I have a 2022 rav4 xle with the expected smart key system. When I exit the vehicle in my garage, I do not lock it. Most of the time when I return to enter the vehicle, the driver door remains unlocked as I left it. Sometimes, when I return to enter the driver's side, the door is locked and will not respond to the unlock grasp of the driver door handle by beeping and unlocking. It's like the locking system is dead. The only way I can enter is to touch the lock sensor on the forward part of the handle(not the unlock sensor!). This actives the lock beep and relocks the handle again with the expected beep. I am then able to unlock by grasping the handle as expected. I can also hit the lock function on the key fob, which reactivates lock, so that I can then proceed to unlock by normal ways. If I hit unlock on the key fob, it is also dead. Since this is not reproducible, but intermittent, it can't be normal. My other toyotas of different years and models have never had this issue. Has anyone experienced this type of erratic lock function?
Yes, I can ask the dealer to look at it, but it will probably not malfunction while in their possession, unless I want to leave it for an extended period.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might try replacing the remote's battery. Does it do the same thing when you use the second remote?
A good thought, thanks. I wondered about the remote battery also. It is the same with both remotes.
Also, I experience this issue when I approach the vehicle without my keys, to get something from the inside of the vehicle. The door should open since it was left unlocked, and most of the times it does. When it has locked itself and "frozen", I go get the remote and the lock doesn't work until I hit the lock sensor, which reactivates the lock function.

· Registered
6 Posts
Just a thought. I know with my wife's toyota tundra and on my old mazda, if you hit the unlock button on the key fob and don't open any of the doors, it will lock itself back after about a minute or two. It could be possible that you intend to leave it unlocked when you walk away, but somehow the keys shift in your pocket and cause the car to lock and then they shift again and cause it to unlock; but you don't open a door and it locks itself back. And it may be some sort of safety feature that keeps the door locked in case you were in some kind of trouble and someone was trying to steal your car and you have to perform the task that you described to get past it.

· Registered
2021 Rav4 XLE ICE engine
383 Posts
Take a look at your lock settings on the touchscreen. If you have not yet reset them, they may be set to some new funky 2022 factory setting that you can easily change to something you prefer. Refer to your Owners Manual for instructions. YouTube also has videos on changing the settings.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
check mwinnick, post: 14677720. This sounds just like my experience.
The info center screen for lock adjustment only deals with lock when shift from park vs reaching a predetermined speed and then locking.

· Registered
179 Posts
Quick questions. Attached garage? Do you take 2 steps inside and hang the keys on the wall, 5 feet from the car? The key may still be in range. Having said that my Avalon decides to lock itself now and then.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote from original post:
[Most of the time when I return to enter the vehicle, the driver door remains unlocked as I left it. Sometimes, when I return to enter the driver's side, the door is locked and will not respond to the unlock grasp of the driver door handle by beeping and unlocking. It's like the locking system is dead. The only way I can enter is to touch the lock sensor on the forward part of the handle(not the unlock sensor!). This actives the lock beep and relocks the handle again with the expected beep. I am then able to unlock by grasping the handle as expected. I can also hit the lock function on the key fob, which reactivates lock, so that I can then proceed to unlock by normal ways. If I hit unlock on the key fob, it is also dead.]

yes, attached garage. Key stored at opposite end of house and is way out of range. When your avalon locks itself, is it frozen so that the only way to unlock is not to grab the handle, but to touch the lock sensor to relock again, then unlock works normally? As stated in the original post, that is what mine does.

· Registered
179 Posts
Ahh so. If you own a voltmeter make sure the fob battery has at least 2.95 volts. If the fob were to quit working or low battery, the back up this "the chip" There is an antenna in the door handle that sees the security chip and knows it's you. (PS ditto for hold the key up to the start button). If things are really dead, pressing the button on the handle the car sends out a "ping" which activates the chip and you can open the door. Just went through this a few weeks ago where I noticed that if I was more than 20 feet from the car the fob did not work, but the other fob did. Fob battery was tired. HTH

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. Here is the issue. I get out of the car in the garage and don't lock the doors. When I come back the next morning, without the fob, to get something from the unlocked car, the door is not only locked, but the lock is inactivated. I say this because when I go and get the fob and return to the car, it won't respond to the unlock grasp, but it does respond to the lock sensor on the front of the handle with a beep and a flash, as if it just responded to the command to lock and reactivated itself. Then, if I grab the handle, it beeps and unlocks as normal. If the battery on both fobs was similarly low, then it wouldn't respond to the lock action, and then wouldn't be able to respond to the unlock action. Do you agree?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked the battery 2.98 v. Seems low, so I replaced it,new battery 3.28v. I don't see how that would be the problem based on the scenario I described. We will see, and I will report back.

· Registered
2021 Rav4 XLE ICE engine
383 Posts
Ok. Here is the issue. I get out of the car in the garage and don't lock the doors. When I come back the next morning, without the fob, to get something from the unlocked car, the door is not only locked, but the lock is inactivated. I say this because when I go and get the fob and return to the car, it won't respond to the unlock grasp, but it does respond to the lock sensor on the front of the handle with a beep and a flash, as if it just responded to the command to lock and reactivated itself. Then, if I grab the handle, it beeps and unlocks as normal. If the battery on both fobs was similarly low, then it wouldn't respond to the lock action, and then wouldn't be able to respond to the unlock action. Do you agree?
I have read in the RAV4World 5th gen sub forum that the Ravs are programmed that if the door is unlocked and remote fob taken away for some extended period of time, the car will automatically lock itself to prevent theft. Maybe this is what your car is doing.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies and interest in helping with my problem. I am sorry to say it does not make sense. If it was designed that way it would happen every time I left it unlocked overnight, not just occasionally, because the pattern of leaving the car is the same each time. Also, Toyota would not program the door to freeze unless I was intuitive enough to hit lock to activate the system, and then hit unlock.It would not bother me if it periodically locked itself but was responsive to the handle sensor command to open. The situation of an unresponsive(dead) command to open would be a hazard for someone clueless about cars. They might think they are stranded and not know to try the lock option first, which actually is not logical. Does what I am saying make sense?

· HSD Organic Interface
2010 Lexus RX450h
62 Posts
A little blurb from the manual, that might be relevant in case some buttons are being pressed by accident.

if the wireless remote control is
used to lock the doors when the
electronic key is near the vehicle,
there is a possibility that the door
may not be unlocked by the entry
function. (Use the wireless remote
control to unlock the doors.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts