Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sad to see others having this problem but thankful to have found this group. My 2012 Sequoia Platinum has ~95k miles on it and the drivers door started "melting" where I rest my arm at ~60k miles. I will be calling Toyota to open a case today. I will also post photos on here along with case #, VIN # and any other pertinent information. meyer1825, let me know if there is any way I can help.

Graham

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I have a 2016 with 50k miles and I have noticed a minor issue (I'm picky) with this issue. I thought it was a cleaning issue, but it's obvious this is a problem.

I will be calling toyota and reporting my number here. I'll also keep following this. We could always just tell Toyota to switch out our entire interior to gray! This is likely the only way to fix the issue (assuming it is a red rock issue).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sad to see others having this problem but thankful to have found this group. My 2012 Sequoia Platinum has ~95k miles on it and the drivers door started "melting" where I rest my arm at ~60k miles. I will be calling Toyota to open a case today. I will also post photos on here along with case #, VIN # and any other pertinent information. meyer1825, let me know if there is any way I can help.

Graham
Haven't had a chance to open up a case but here is a photo of the door.

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Sequoia SR5 4x4
4 Posts
I know it's not the same vehicle but my mother's 2007 Camry dashboard did the same thing. Toyota replaced the entire dashboard. This was 2 years ago so the car was 9-ish years old. I'm just saying, keep after Toyota, they should step up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same on my 2014 sequoia. We live in Mexico. They laughed at me when I said it had to be a defect. But I have door, rear door and side mirror defects. Attached are pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
melting Pleather door panels

I also have the same problem with melting door panels - Red Rock interior - 2010 Sequoia - just over 100k miles. I spoke with Toyota about it. They won't issue a recall b/c its not a safety issue - but if enough people complain, they can extend the warranty: Toyota Customer Experience Center
1-800-331-4331

thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is an interesting thread. It seems the common denominator is the color - red rock. Does anyone with some other color have this problem, or is it exclusive to that trim?

Someone should compile a spread sheet with owner names, addresses, phone numbers, and other vehicle details (VIN, build date/year, etc). Then distribute that to everyone with the problem to confront their service managers.

If that fails to get their attention, call the Toyota distributor and let them know if they don't resolve it, you'll take your data to the local news for them to highlight Toyota's quality and (lack of) support. Should help grease the squeaky wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem with my 2012 sequoia with red rock interior. I agree with earlier poster. There are several folks raising this as an issue. Seems like a manufacturing defect. We could band together to request Toyota address this. California generally has some stringent consumer protection. Anyone with this issue live in California? Maybe working under their consumer protection statutes would be productive? That and banding together...

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,644 Posts
Class action attorneys. Look at the law firm who did the dashboard cases.

Weird that it seems to be only for Red Rock inferiors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
08 Sequoia, same problem. Red Rock door panel is melting on the passenger side. If any suits or cases are pending I'd like to be included. 😁

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had this same exact problem with my 2008 for years now. After a couple years they are a total melted mess and it's ruined multiple dress shirts long the way. No luck with the dealership of course but will be calling Toyota Corp as well.

Please post any updates or success stories.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Graham
I have a 2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum same color interior and having the same problem with the melting/smearing gooey leather. At first when it happened the dealer replaced both door panels but it started again. I only have 77K miles, been very disappointed.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts