Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to upgrade the stereo in my 96 Extended Cab, but according to multiple online sources (ie crutchfield), the extended cab only takes shallow mount 6.5" speakers.

However, the regular cab will take normal 6.5". Is there a significant difference in the depth of the door on these trucks, or is crutchfield in error?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,348 Posts
I guess it will depend if you have the power package or not? I thought the doors on the T100s were all the same size. Only thing that made them different was the power package. I'm pretty sure you can swap doors from a standard cab to an extended cab...as far as I know... :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power Package? Sorry, not familiar, whats that?

At crutchfield.com you can enter your vehicle and they'll tell you which speakers will fit or not.

With the extended cab selected, there's only a few available, and it seems that they all have a mounting depth of under 2". Conversely, when I select Regular Cab, everything's available.

I really don't see there being a huge difference in the door depth between the two models, so I'm going to try my luck with normal depth speakers....I can always return them :rolleyes:

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,348 Posts
Power package = power door locks, power windows, power mirrors...all door related. ;)

Ah...I see that the long bed was usually just the basic truck. On my 1993 SR5, I've got a little door pocket that runs along the same lines as my speaker does. Not sure if that is the difference or not. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh, I was thinking speaker related (ie. an option for amped speakers or something), but Toyota didn't really offer many options on the T100.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and just buy the shallow mounts....worst case scenario is they lack the bass I want, and put in a sub somewhere.

Thanks for the quick responses, as always.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts