Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the information from a new member: "Jingjok" On how to make you truck auto-locking:

As you can see from the schematic, it's a simple circuit that gets its power from the same voltage that lights up the letter "D" in the instrument cluster when the transmission is shifted into drive. That +12 volts is taken from a wire connecting to pin 1 of connector IJ1 which is located just above the right front kick panel. I had to remove the glove box door to get to it. Anyway, that +12 volts, which is only present while the transmission is in drive, is connected to pin 2 of four pin connector P1. The other two pins of P1 are connected to pins 8 (door lock control) and 9 (power ground). When someone locks the doors they push the switch that momentarily connects (short circuits) pins 8 and 9 of the door lock control switch. Doing this grounds pin 8 which causes all doors to lock. The door lock control circuit I designed does the exact same thing by momentarily turning on transistor Q1. This electrically connects pins 8 and 9 through transistor Q1 causing all doors to lock. No one wants the doors to be forced in the lock condition all the time so about one second after the doors get locked, transistor Q2 turns on which causes transistor Q1 to turn off. Now, the doors are still locked, but can be opened from the inside and, with a key or remote, from the outside. The first part of the installation is to connect three of the wires of four pin trailer hitch connector P1 to the truck's wiring. That would be connector IK3 pins 8 and 9, and connector IJ1 pin 1. Connector IK3 is behind the right front kick panel and connector IJ1 is just above it to the right of the glove box door. Anyway, once this is done, you should be able to test it by using a paper clip to short out pins 8 and 9.
Doing this should cause all the doors to lock. You can also test for +12 volts at IJ1 pin 1 by using a light bulb or volt meter and shifting into drive with the key on. The next step is to build up the circuit on a small perf board using the schematic as a guide. Besides the six components on the board I also used two inline fuses just because it's good design practice. The perf board is connected to the mating connector J1 which enables the circuit to be quickly removed from the truck for whatever reason. I realize most people don't read schematic drawings and I am working on a way to make this part easier. If you know how to read schematics you should have no problem with it. All the electronic parts can come from Radio Shack or any electronic outlet and the trailer hitch can come from any auto parts store. If you have any questions about this just let me know.
Jim

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Cool. :thumbup: I'd do this mod, but my aftermarket alarm already does it. This is a good mod for those without an alarm though.

·
Registered
2006 Double Cab
10 Posts
Thank you toku58 for posting this for me. I designed this circuit after I saw how much aftermarket automatic door lock controllers cost. It cost me less than ten bucks in parts and took less than two hours to install. I got all the necessary wiring diagrams from this site! Like any other DIY mod, this one comes with all the disclaimers; You do this at your own risk. That said, this little circuit has been working flawlessly since I installed it over two months ago. If anyone would like any additional information about it I would be glad to help. Jingjok

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
Nice work.
Quality from design thru execution.
(and for anyone designing their own, Jingjok is right about the need for the 2nd switching transistor, or a similar de-energizing feature. Most door lock solenoids are not designed for continous operation and will overheat if kept energized in the up or down position)

If you feel the need for the doors locked in drive, this is an excellent solution.
I personally like pushing the button when I want them locked, but then again, it's like picking colors and seats -what do you want in your vehicle.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nice work. I may get around to doing this one too. :thumbup:

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
^ :lol:

Just in time for the new season of 24?

·
Banned
2005 Taco Pre-Runner
9 Posts
tacogrande said:
There are only two reasons I can think of why you would want your doors locked while moving-

A. You don't have a gun and the car jackers in your area can run really fast

B. The duct tape broke loose and your hostage is trying to escape

Rofl! :lol:

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Some people have way too much time on there hands :lol:

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
tacogrande said:
There are only two reasons I can think of why you would want your doors locked while moving-

A. You don't have a gun and the car jackers in your area can run really fast

B. The duct tape broke loose and your hostage is trying to escape
Also, when you come to a stop, someone could jump out and try to open your door(s) to jack it or threaten you. Who knows :confused:. Rather be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC
130 Posts
I suppose there's no real easy way to make this work for us 6 speed guys?

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
ibleedblue said:
I suppose there's no real easy way to make this work for us 6 speed guys?
Sure there is... just use your finger to push the doorlock button when you get in;)

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC
130 Posts
amp2oo1 said:
Sure there is... just use your finger to push the doorlock button when you get in;)
I'm too lazy for that....you know, with the shifting and all I get worn out. Plus I need this $28k truck to do something on it's own! It can't even shift itself for God's sake! :D :lol:

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a cool mod! If you have kids! All the GM cars and trucks do this.

"Jingjok" Must be in electronics, or Engineering.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
tacogrande said:
Have you ever seen the 40 year old virgin?

Do you know how I know you're gay?
Alright!! Lets not lower the level of TN!!!
If you wanna to play like that go elsewhere!! There's no reason for name calling or personal attacks!!

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ibleedblue said:
I'm too lazy for that....you know, with the shifting and all I get worn out. Plus I need this $28k truck to do something on it's own! It can't even shift itself for God's sake! :D :lol:
Yeah! for $28,000 you would think it would at least wash itself? LOL!!:lol: :lol:

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
tacogrande said:
Have you ever seen the 40 year old virgin?

Do you know how I know you're gay?
I was joking btw lol. But um... do you know how i know youre gay? You can tell how other people are gay :D lol k I'm done.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,711 Posts
Great mod! :clap: I will do this to my '06. Coming out of a Durango, this was one of the things that I missed! Theirs wasn't when it went in gear, but at 5 mph or something like that.

Now, if we could switch the lock/unlock button on the remote, make the high beam ON when you pull not push, give me an oil pressure gauge, make the driving lights work with the parking lights, and make the window switch forward and backwards instead of pull up and push down, I'll be happy! I just can't get used to the Japanese controls... I know wha wha...

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HotRod53 said:
Great mod! :clap: I will do this to my '06. Coming out of a Durango, this was one of the things that I missed! Theirs wasn't when it went in gear, but at 5 mph or something like that.

Now, if we could switch the lock/unlock button on the remote, make the high beam ON when you pull not push, give me an oil pressure gauge, make the driving lights work with the parking lights, and make the window switch forward and backwards instead of pull up and push down, I'll be happy! I just can't get used to the Japanese controls... I know wha wha...
I think that the GM vehicles could be programed, I had my Silverado set at 15mph, and the doors would lock. I liked that feature!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts