Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 T100 SR5
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my 1997 T100 has been having an issue with the drivers side door lock not working properly, this took a turn for the worse the other weekend as now the handle is completely loose, the door is stuck shut and while I have been able to partially pull the panel back, I can't get this door open for the life of me. Passenger side door works, but the lock does not. My best guess is that this will need new latch assemblies on both sides, and likely both cylinders re-keyed. Posting to see if anyone else has had issues and or fixes

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
8,218 Posts
The tumblers aren't part of the handles. If you take the trim piece out from around the interior handle there's a good chance you can pull on the rod to the latch and pop the door open.

·
Registered
1997 T100 SR5
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tumblers aren't part of the handles. If you take the trim piece out from around the interior handle there's a good chance you can pull on the rod to the latch and pop the door open.
Yeah, sadly I've done this a bunch with no luck, something is not actuating properly

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
8,218 Posts
Can you get the panel off?
Power windows and locks?
Whats the plan?

·
Registered
1997 T100 SR5
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has power locks but they've never worked, I have the plate pulled off the handle, and I can pull the panel back, but since the door is stuck shut I can't remove it, even had my wrenching buddy come by and even with both of us couldn't make much headway, current plan is to take it over to the body shop I know here in town see if they can get the door open, so I can see what is actually broken, guessing it will be the entire latch assembly, separate from all that I think a locksmith visit will be in order

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
8,218 Posts
If ya have time and find the problem grab a pic or two and let us know. Good Luck and Thanks.

·
Registered
1997 T100 SR5
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll do that for sure and will keep this post updated as I find out, guess the smog check station dude is gonna have to crawl through this weekend

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,651 Posts
One option is to cut the door panel away so you can access the latching mechanism. You'll have to find a replacement panel which should be pretty easy compared to replacing the door. ;)

·
Registered
1997 T100 SR5
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a very exciting update, but my mechanic who I use for jobs that are too much for me was able to get my door fixed, it was a bound latch mechanism, and it apparently took him nearly two days to get the door open, luckily the local toyota dealer had this part, the downside was they charged me $225 for it, all in all cost me $400, which is less than ideal, but I really need a door that works, and I've saved a lot of money over the years doing the other work myself so at the end of the day I'm happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts