Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grayguy said:
JRB said:
if you are hot rodding around in 1st gear, it's not good for your tranny either, same with double-clutching

best of luck and have fun!
I don't see how double clutching can possibly hurt your tranny if you know what your doing. But that's a argument for another thread. Enough said.

If it snows more this weekend like it's supposed to, I'm guessing we'll get some pics/ videos of this kinda stuff.
well as you can read this is a new thread for this topic.
now by double clutching, I mean, holding the gas to the floor, and shifting gears quickly. That was how I understood it...now maybe I'm misunderstood. But this is bad for your tranny and clutch, cuz it's the same as dumping the clutch from a stop.
I know this, becuz I had a car I rodded the hell outta, "double clutching", dumpin the clutch, etc etc, and I blew the diff pin right thru the casing.
of course maybe I was told the wrong definition for double clutching

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Also, with gear synchros double-clutching is no neccesary.
Double-clutching is only neccesary if your tranny has straight-cut gears.

·
Still confused...
95 camry coupe v6
2,305 Posts
double clutching is just slow shifting basically. you're going in 1st gear, release gas, clutch in, gear to N, clutch up, clutch down, gear to 2nd, clutch up and gas...

correct me if i'm wrong.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Evil Corolla S said:
^That is the exact definition, and only semi's need to do that. I get a kick out of it when i hear ppl refer to speed shifting as double clutching eg. in fast and the furious when vin diesel says that hes "not double clutching like he supposed to." Dumbass writers, i guess if you want to go slower then thats ok.
DANGER TO MANIFOLD!

*floor falls out*

:banana:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alrite, well that makes more sense anyway.
About 6 yrs ago a buddy told me that double clutching, was speed shifting. Cuz I asked him why you would want to double clutch, cuz I thought it meant what it apparently does mean, but he "corrected" me into believing a lie apparently. I should've figured, he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer to begin with. Ah well, as long as someone can set me straight, I'll be alrite.

I retract my previous statement, and correct it to say, speed shifting is hard on the tranny and clutch

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Evil Corolla S said:
...but then again it didnt seem to bother the car after the race.
no kidding, of course Vin would've been able to do some good flintstone breaking with that hole there...and btw how did that piece of metal flying off not seriously injure or kill anybody or thing?? oh yeah it was just a movie, same with the 2nd one, which is too bad cuz I always wanted to take my car bridge hopping. LOL :whatwhat:

·
Registered
811 Posts
i hoped something before and it was prety kool, but back on topic my buddy tried that and his car was slow as hell he started shifting normally and we was just flying, 2 bad its snowing right now or else we would be out there doubble clutching right now!

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
Yeah, double clutching is not neccasary in most cars that's why I don't do it. I just know how cause i drove a truck with a messed up 4speed for a year, and you had to double clutch every 1-2, 2-3 shift...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mr2driver said:
is gear braking bad for your car?
gear braking is when you shift to lower gear and let out clutch right?
I always thought it was called engine braking, but once again I could be wrong. but apparently whatever it is called, doing that is still bad, putting excess wear and tear on your engine. I still do it tho sometimes, if I'm rushing around, I'll gear down and then hop on the clutch and brake for a quit stop, or if I'm coming into a corner, helps me slow down just enough and then I can get back on the gas right away in the proper gear.

·
TN Member
Prius
5,460 Posts
Since, this seems to be a Q&A thread, I'll pop a question.

What's side-stepping the clutch? I keep hearing Car And Driver use that term.

"oh, we got x.x secs from 0-60 but if we side stepped the clutch, we got it down to x.x secs"

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
Don't know about side steping, never heard of it. And engine breaking doesn't hurt your engine. I just don't do it unless I'm going downhill, cause it's really not needed in small cars. Again, I used to do it in my truck cause that thing had big tires, and stock brakes...plus I just loved the badass sound of the popping exhaust from the high compression engine :D

·
I Love Priuses
1999 Toyota Camry LE
339 Posts
I've never heard of side-stepping, either. Unless that's like--press clutch with right foot on gas pedal still, shift, "dump" clutch, then a second later press clutch again, shift, "dump" clutch again etc.

Off-topic, but concerning Fast/Furious: Ever notice that the vehicles always seemed to be going faster when the camera is inside the car, but when viewing the car from outside it looks like they're going a lot slower? :rofl: Inside the speedometer passes 70-80-90-100 MPH, but looking at the car in third person they look like they're going half the speed. Remember; adding a spoiler will add 20 horsepower to your engine. ;)

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
^well of course it looks slower in 3rd person. IT's not like they're going to have a camera truck driving along next to them at like 90. Plus if you've seen teh extras on teh dvd, you'll learn that for the most part, the cars are built onto this weird truck thing. Can't really explain it, you'd have to see it.

·
The Matrix has you......
128 Posts
epinionator89 said:
Remember; adding a spoiler will add 20 horsepower to your engine. ;)
Also, adding stickers give you 5hp for each one, 10 hp if thy're on the paint!:lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.