Toyota Nation Forum banner

Double Paned Glass

Tags
windows
3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bgmbgmbgm 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a '99 Camry and have been mulling over the idea of double paned glass (at least in the front) to cut down on all the road noise and boost the audio quality of the car. I have all after market sound and often push the volume up while turning it down if in residential areas, but I'd like to basically no my options if I were to take the route.

I searched the forums and couldn't find any mention of someone else doing this on a 4th gen. Does anyone know of a seller of double paned glass that fits a 4th gen? And/or of window motors that would be able to support the new weight?

#2 ·
Lol? Car audio comes up with some crazy stuff huh?

I can't lie, I just put a sub and amp in mine and I can certainly see the addiction. Dunno if I'd ever go this far, but I see why now.

#3 ·
Hah I do love the sound quality in my car and have a good amount of sound dampening throughout it to keep it that way. But double paned glass is generally a luxury car thing. I know a number of Mercedes come with it and I've seen it on a Cadillac. The Cadillac was impressive since they also happened to have after market sound. When they opened the door it was like a sound blast in the face. Then they closed it and it went totally silent. Very impressive.

The real down side is that it adds weight and cost to cars so most manufacturers don't do it. I saw a stat that the entire setup (I'm assuming front and rear windows too) added 500lbs to a Mercedes. That seems high to me...but then you need to take into account they also have to put in stronger window actuators and heavier gauge cable in places too.

#4 ·
Not only is this not available, it would be an insane amount to have custom made.

I also don't believe it would do what you're expecting it would do. To make it worthwhile, you would have to soundproof the rest of the car as well. You already have sound deadening, so that's a start. But there's much more.

Just the weight of the sound deadening + double pane windows will make it extra hard to drive your automatic 4 cylinder.

#5 ·
I figured this would be the case but I was still curious. The sound deadening covers a good deal of the car as it is and makes a good difference. I want to lay it under the carpeting as well, but that will be a time consuming project to get into and not sure I want to spend the weekend doing it. Not in this weather anyways.

#6 ·
Yeah sound deadening the majority of the car will make a world of difference. Under the carpet you already have SOME sound deadening in the form of asphalt sheets.

Some people also take off headliners and do the roof, as well as the exterior door skins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.