Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 toyotas
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just curious---:confused:

how many on this board have 'double stacked', or installed two transfer cases in their 4X ??????

Does anyone know what I'm talking about ???????????

·
Registered
4 toyotas
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Finally some one that goes beyond 'paint scratches' and body 'dings' !!!:clap:

on my 85 4X, i have done a few things to make off-roading a bit more enjoyable and trails more 'do-able'.

bobbed the bed 18", doubled the transfer cases for 15 foreward speeds and a low crawl ratio in the area of 109 to 1, 5:29 gears fore and aft, lockers front and rear, 36" BFG's, cross over steering with an IFS box, chevy rear springs and 4" all-pros in the front, square tube shaft in the front, reversed shaft in the rear, tube sliders and bumpers with 8,000# warn on th front--- for a start-------
:D

·
Registered
4 toyotas
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don't need to search Marlin's site---- i've wheeled with Marlin, and driven his trucks.
Marlin has helped the Benders build our 'give-away truck' as well as the 'give-away' formula toy we're building now.
he trippled his, cause he could, but it isn't practicle for wheelin, (TOO SLOW !!)

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
oh ok, i didnt realize you were with tin benders ive heard good stuff about them. im just a noob from florida that browses all the toyota forums. ive never done a dual case let alone 3. you could get out of the truck walk down the street and it would be trying to catch up with that kind of ratio.

·
Registered
4 toyotas
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In Marlins red (HIS ) truck with the BUILT engine, (EFI, BMW valve train,etc, etc---), triple stacked, --- if you put it in low/low/low 4 wheel, push the thumb throttle to about 5,ooo rpm----- step out, light a cigarette, carry on a good conversation, finish your cigarette--- the truck will not have left the campsite yet !!

i went with just two stock geared cases- (even now i get lost in 15 speeds to choose from)- the 4.70 gears in one would be called 'the Ultimate' double stack. (I can break all the Birfield joints and twist all the axles i need with the setup i have now !!)

The 88 yota truck to rock crawler conversion that we did out in the desert in 15 hours !--- was written up in mags. and the truck winner lives in Neveda---
== bed bob, 1/2 doors, inside cage, tube rock sliders, tube bumpers with 9,000# winch, solid axle swap, cross over steering, seats with 5 point belts, gears&lockers, springs, lift, == well the list goes on --- sitting on 38's with beadlocks---

this year we are building a Formula Toy with ALL the goodies and on propane-- WITH a trailer-- to be given away at our annual gathering----

if you are thinking of REALLY going places-- you have to go double stacked cases and locked front and rear !!!! (i welded my diff's, got tired of breaking lockers !)

If you want to build a rig -- or improve yours-- feel free to ask anything that might come up--- Here or on our board--

·
Official TN Asshole
85 yota/ 99 audi s4
668 Posts
uh, what else do you really need to do for offroading?
haha...sounds like a nice setup

Krusty said:
Finally some one that goes beyond 'paint scratches' and body 'dings' !!!:clap:

on my 85 4X, i have done a few things to make off-roading a bit more enjoyable and trails more 'do-able'.

bobbed the bed 18", doubled the transfer cases for 15 foreward speeds and a low crawl ratio in the area of 109 to 1, 5:29 gears fore and aft, lockers front and rear, 36" BFG's, cross over steering with an IFS box, chevy rear springs and 4" all-pros in the front, square tube shaft in the front, reversed shaft in the rear, tube sliders and bumpers with 8,000# warn on th front--- for a start-------
:D

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
So with 3 cases, how short is the rear driveshaft?

·
Registered
4 toyotas
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trippled--- your rear shaft would be @12" shorter, and the front [email protected]" longer

for the normal double stack install-- the rear shaft you shorten @6" and the front shaft @6"longer (or 'to length' if you get rid of the IFS front end -if not solid axle equipped)

i wouldn't presume to tell ANYONE what mods have to be done to a rig to 'off-road' it--- depends on what YOU want to do off-road--- = dirt roads, mud, sand, rock crawling-- and what YOU want to do to your truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts