• Access Cab

Votes: 67 37.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are interested in getting a Tacoma, but don't know which model to go with. Right now, it's just us, no kids. Although, we do plan on having kids in the near future. No one else is in our car except for us, but we do like to have the room, just in case.

So, my question is which should we choose, the Access cab or the Double. Also, how many people that went with the access to save money now regret it and wish they'd have gotten a Double cab instead. Thanks for your responses!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Same situation here. I have the access... enough room for 2 and the basset hound. plus, you can fit a baby seat in the back.. good enough for the first year or two... I found the double cab long box a pretty big stick to park. Personal preference I guess! The money wasnt much of a factor, it was a grand more for the double. I actually like the fact that i don't have to haul other people around, i can just say "no room". My friend has 05 a double cab, and when all the window are down at 60mph, the is a real wind buffeting effect that is not tolerable. dunno if they fixed that.

All that said, I dont think you would regret getting the bigger one. Too much room is better if ya ask me.
Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
No regrets

I have an access cab because.... I wanted stick and i think the double cab short bed looks weird, but i like the double cab long bed but that doesn’t come in stick and is allot of money, I almost never have 3 people in my truck and if i do too bad for the sucker in the back cause I am driving:lol: . In any case they do have the seat harnesses in the back of the access cab for babies and by the time your upcoming kid is 6 he will still be able to fit in the back. So figure by the time he is 15 you can look for a bigger cab then. Another note the back seats in the double cab are not that roomy (think corolla back seats but wider). My final point i have a TRD sport 6speed v6 access cab and i love it. I think it is the best looking Tacoma other than the double cab long bed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
CCook said:
My wife and I are interested in getting a Tacoma, but don't know which model to go with. Right now, it's just us, no kids. Although, we do plan on having kids in the near future. No one else is in our car except for us, but we do like to have the room, just in case.

So, my question is which should we choose, the Access cab or the Double. Also, how many people that went with the access to save money now regret it and wish they'd have gotten a Double cab instead. Thanks for your responses!!
I just bought the double cab for the same price as an access cab from another dealer. It's awesome! Plenty of room and doors make it easier to get to your "stuff".

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm new to the forums, (first post) I've just bought an 07 double cab TRD Sport long bed 3 day's ago to replace my old 98 4x4 Frontier, and let me tell you it's like night and day with all of the extra space, plus looks to go along with it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
06 Tacoma AC 4x4
217 Posts
I have an access cab, but at times really wish I had a double cab.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Price a little bit of a factor. Although, in reality. I should only be talking about $1500 difference here in Hawaii. I like the looks of both, but it's just do I really need the room. I've actually never considered the Access cab before, but then I thought of why do I really need a Double cab if we have no kids and like (Narwanin) said. By the time, we do need a bigger truck or SUV. It'll probably be time for a new vehicle anyway. Then I can just keep the Tacoma as my work truck only. But, damn I like the look of the Double cab.....decisions, decisions......haha. vbmenu_register("postmenu_1642295", true);

·
Registered
06 V6 DC TRD Sport
259 Posts
narwanin said:
I have an access cab because.... I wanted stick and i think the double cab short bed looks weird, but i like the double cab long bed but that doesn’t come in stick and is allot of money, I almost never have 3 people in my truck and if i do too bad for the sucker in the back cause I am driving:lol: . In any case they do have the seat harnesses in the back of the access cab for babies and by the time your upcoming kid is 6 he will still be able to fit in the back. So figure by the time he is 15 you can look for a bigger cab then. Another note the back seats in the double cab are not that roomy (think corolla back seats but wider). My final point i have a TRD sport 6speed v6 access cab and i love it. I think it is the best looking Tacoma other than the double cab long bed.
The seats in the Dcab in the back are just fine My 23 yr old and 18 year old have no complaints with their 8 yr old brother between them. I say plan ahead get the double so you can secure the baby seat the way it would be secured in anyother vehicle and enjoy the truck knowing everyone is safe in the vehicle. The back doors will make it easier for you and your wife to put your little one in. With experience manageing a baby with a two door is not fun sometimes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a double cab short bed and love it. Giving up a foot of bed space is well worth the extra row of seats. The double cab offer the best of both worlds- seating of a SUV and cargo/hauling capacity of a truck!

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
narwanin said:
I would recommend the Dbl cab! Even if it looks weird. In fact I would buy it again just because of that !!:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
449 Posts
access cab looks alot better than dcab imo... but the room in the double is very nice when driving friends. my friends always complain about my very shitty back seats (and i agree with them)

·
Mine is better than yours
'06 Dbl-Cab 4x4 Taco
1,211 Posts
Been there done that. Had an '05 Access cab, baby seat only works in there for a year. I now have an '06 Double cab.

I also thought the Double cab short bed was odd looking, but I wanted the 6-speed. It has since grown on me. The Double cab long beds just look way to long.

I should have purchased the Double cab in the first place, it was only about $1,000.00 more at the time but I really didn't think I would need it.

Don't get me wrong, I was in love with the '05 Access cab it was a damn good looking truck.

But as you can see, I've recovered and found a new love......

Marc M

·
2012 Camry 2.5
210 Posts
narwanin said:
The Dubble cab has more room in back than the corolla by far. I'm really tall so I have the seat all the way back but when I let someone else drive I can tell theirs plenty of room in back if the driver is "avarage highth" but if their a man size man its pretty cramped for leg room.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The prupose of getting the truck for me is to haul stuff, not transport people. So the access cab serves my purpose.

My thought would be consider what you need the truck for. Will it be primarily used for hauling or transporting people? If it is somewhere in the middle like it sounds it might, the crew cab would fit the bill.

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
if you consider keeping the truck for a a few years and having kids within that time i would recommend the double.

·
Registered
2005 tacoma trd
866 Posts
if ya want 4 doors and good gas mileage get a Highlander

·
Lady in Red
1,515 Posts
I certainly didn't buy an Access Cab to save money...I think it looks better and I do NOT want to be driving other people around! I like the extra bed length and couldn't possibly park a longbed where I live. But I guess if I had or was going to have kids I'd seriously consider a Double Cab for the extra space needed in the future.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Really like the Access Cab looks. Plus wanted another 2.7L/5spd for the milage and lower entry cost. Got a full size Diesel Quad Cab for pulling and people moving.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Our kids are grown and pretty much gone. The AC gives me plenty of 'throw' space and with our tool box we have all the storage we need, Besides the AC looks better. IMHO.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts