Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching on the forum and only came up with a lot of speculations and BS about Doug Thorley products. I could care less where they are made or even if "Doug" makes them. With that said...

I'm thinking about picking up the Doug Thorley Cat Back exhaust through summit racing. Seemes to be a pretty good product and good price. I know that it will not be a bolt-on application and thats fine. I'm not for honest reviews about the product. I looked into getting a custom exhaust from a muffler shop with a flowmaster muffler, but everywhere around me quoted me at $500+. Around $300 shipped and a Saturday is more my style.

I eventually plan to install either an LC Engineering or Thorley Header, but thats down the line. I'm curious to see how the back pressure from the stock exhaust manifold and cat will effect low end torque and power with an open exhaust.

Thanks for your input in advance

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, should have mentioned what I'm putting it on.
89 22re 5spd Std Cab/ Short Bed (red if anyone cares :))

·
Registered
253 Posts
i was about to say dont get it but since you mentioned its red, that completely changed my mind :lol:

but seriously, you have to be able to find another exhaust shop...$500 is outrageous, i know a shop that would do it for $175 in my area

but, if you really cant find a shop to do a cat back exhaust for you, i guess the doug thorely setup would be the way to go

i have heard that only doing a cat back will not affect power much at all...you really need to go the whole nine yards to see improvement and get a high flow cat, header and intake...then you will notice a difference, but you will probably like the sound better :naughty:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was about to say dont get it but since you mentioned its red, that completely changed my mind :lol:

but seriously, you have to be able to find another exhaust shop...$500 is outrageous, i know a shop that would do it for $175 in my area

but, if you really cant find a shop to do a cat back exhaust for you, i guess the doug thorely setup would be the way to go

i have heard that only doing a cat back will not affect power much at all...you really need to go the whole nine yards to see improvement and get a high flow cat, header and intake...then you will notice a difference, but you will probably like the sound better :naughty:
I've read around and that does seemed to hold true. However, I really need to get my exhaust replaced because its worse than swiss chesse right now. I've spent an entire weekend with muffler mud and muffler tape trying to find all the holes in the exhaust. I've finally given up and decided that a permanent solution is in order. So while I would love to go the whole nine yards and replace everything from the exhaust head to the exhaust tip, funds don't permitt, that is unless I can find a better exhaust shop.

The local exhaust guy quoted me $550 to replace everything from the exhaust manifold back which included a Flowmaster 40 series muffler and carsound cat (both good products). The next closest guy to me is about two hours away, but the selection gets better. I would rather deal locally so I could drop the truck off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon instead of kill an entire day waiting for the truck to get done.
~Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts