Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just saw that on e-trailer. I'll be waiting until they post some install pictures, and come up with a wiring harness that doesn't require splicing or cost crazy money like the one that passively senses the signal in the vehicle wiring.

I'd like to get one from hidden hitch. Hopefully they'll come up with one that is < $160 and looks nice.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Ecohitch does look nice, but not for twice the money, I've never bought hitches because they looked nice, as easy as they are to remove I'll only have mine on when I need it, it's 40+lbs I don't need to be pay to haul around when it's only used rarely, if it was used regularly, I'd consider it, looks best without a hitch IMO. Rigid, Hidden and Curt still haven't made one, I'll wait to see what they come up with. I'm not real crazy about the mexican made Draw-Tite, one member on R4W got one and it had spots with hardly any paint, and it's supposed to have an e-coat base coat under the powder coat for rust protection, hoping it's just an early production issue. Rigid and Curt are US made as is the EcoHitch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Ecohitch does look nice, but not for twice the money, I've never bought hitches because they looked nice, as easy as they are to remove I'll only have mine on when I need it, it's 40+lbs I don't need to be pay to haul around when it's only used rarely, if it was used regularly, I'd consider it, looks best without a hitch IMO. Rigid, Hidden and Curt still haven't made one, I'll wait to see what they come up with. I'm not real crazy about the mexican made Draw-Tite, one member on R4W got one and it had spots with hardly any paint, and it's supposed to have an e-coat base coat under the powder coat for rust protection, hoping it's just an early production issue. Rigid and Curt are US made as is the EcoHitch.
I agree, Ecohitch is above my price point. I'd be too adverse to the hassle to put it on and remove it. Plus I'd worry about scratching paint, etc. and causing premature rusting. 40lbs can't hurt mpg that much though, would it?

I probably would be using it more than you though - maybe half a dozen plus times a year, maybe more if I got a hitch mounted bike rack.

·
2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD XLE
RAV4 Hybrid AWD XLE
33 Posts
Thanks. Not bad, but I think that the Ecohitch looks a bit better w/out that top plate. I can still afford to hold off and wait a bit for all of the competition to show up.
For me the looks are important, but the ground clearance is much more critical. Not worried about the $300 cost (plus shipping) of the ecohitch on a $34k SUV and I'm damned if I'll lose ground clearance on a vehicle designed to handle a bit of off-road terrain. I have a steep driveway and tow small boats and a small utility trailer, so I want the most clearance I can get. Did the same thing on our new Honda Pilot -- went with the OEM hitch which sits much higher than the aftermarket ones. In the past I've used Curt and U-Haul hitches on small trucks and they worked fine, but personally I'm willing to pay more for the clean look and no loss of clearance.

·
2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD XLE
RAV4 Hybrid AWD XLE
33 Posts
Nice! It looks like the Curt hitch fits nearly the same as the Ecohitch, at least from the photos. It still looks like the Ecohitch fits up high enough to have the bumper / rear plastic notched -- from what I can tell, anyway.

Ecohitch for 2019 RAV4 from their website -

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Curt is definitely lower than the Ecohitch which is pretty level with the bottom of the exhaust tips, but there's a plus for the bit lower hitch which will hit before the exhaust tips are mashed, I've scraped the hitch on my 4.3 and 4.4s offroad many times without any more damage than paint removed or a broken NWTF hitch plug, mashing the exhaust tips would be worse.

You can even get a hitch skid plate if you want.
https://www.skidmark4x4.com/
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/31007

1 - 12 of 12 Posts