Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does stock muffler has drainhole on 06 corolla le?

Should I drill a hole to let water drain if there isn't one? Will it make a louder exhaust?

·
Registered
101 Posts
No drain hole needed for the muffler. There shouldn’t be any water getting in it anyway. If you drill the muffler it’s going to sound weird. Because our mufflers are designed to reflect sound rather than straight thru mufflers, drilling a hole in it will make it loose its ability to control sound waves coming out of the engine. So essentially yes it’s going to be louder... And sound weird at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Corolla S            1996 Celica GT-Four
10 Posts
typically I imagine normal water in muffler would evaporate from the heat of use, if water is getting in there via say using vehicle to tow a small boat and launch it on a regular basis can look into this but the baffles might not allow water to move between all the chambers.
drilling a hole in it will make it loose its ability to control sound waves coming out of the engine.
A small 1/8" hole or something isn't going to seriously effect the sound characteristics of the muffler

But as suggested would look more into your use cases why you think it should have one, and whether its nessecary

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’ve never heard of this drilling technique before in my time working on vehicles. There are no aftermarket or OE exhaust mufflers for our cars that have a feature of a drilled hole for water evacuation. It’s just unheard of. Not even the TRD axleback exhaust.
The only drilled hole that you may consider is a hole to install a exhaust muffler tip silencer... on a aftermarket exhaust.
Yes, you will find water coming out of the exhaust from regular combustion of course but that’s just normal. I just don’t see why anyone would remotely need a hole in the muffler. It’s going to introduce more issues in the long term with debris having way in. It’s actually really dirty down there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,839 Posts
Does stock muffler has drainhole on 06 corolla le?

Should I drill a hole to let water drain if there isn't one? Will it make a louder exhaust?
I would leave it be. No drain is needed in the muffler. The amount of water it will see is very little. Most of it will evaporate due to the heat cycles before it would even turn to a solid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts