Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lets Do It!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a DC 4*4 longbed taco and want to know if I can drive a 650lbs Honda Foreman up into the bed of the truck using a ramp? Will the tailgate take it? I have a nissan titan now and have no problems with all the weight on the tailgate, I just have problems with the truck itself :(

What's your latest MPG too while replying..thanks in advance.:clap:

·
Registered
Tacoma PreRunner V6
1,601 Posts
Last tank, 22mpg.

Make sure the tailgate has been updated and reinforced as per the TSB. The non fixed tailgates will bend with *>250lbs of weight.

·
Lets Do It!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its going to be a brand new 08, have the updates been done on them? I'm reading on here that its going to squat hard with 650lbs in the back, that sounds sorta weak. How true is that?

·
Registered
Tacoma PreRunner V6
1,601 Posts
Some 08s have them, some dont.

Also, look for the 4 leaf pack. Its the updated one to support more weight. There is also a TSB on that. The 3 leafs are not good for moving any weight. I have had a great deal of weight in the form of furniture and people in the back of my Taco with the 4leaf and done just fine.

·
Registered
'06 4dr 4x4TRD
81 Posts
I have a Rancher and I haul it in the bed a lot. With the long bed you will be fine. I believe that you should be able to shut the tailgate when it is loaded. If you cannot, the rear wheels shouldn't be too far onto the gate. My rancher's weight is distributed evenly on the end of the bed and on the tailgate and there is no problem with it.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
your tailgate will be fine. i have an 05 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 which i used to drive up a ramp and on to the tail gate.

·
Old TN User
'05 Tacoma DC SR5
528 Posts
I have a 600 lb.+ Yamaha 450 Kodiak that I have been loading in my '05 for 2-1/2 years without bending the tailgate. The ramp I use is 48" wide but folds in half for storage. When it's on the tailgate it is supported on both sides and the middle. You may be able to close the tailgate if you back it in but I doubt it. I use a 6x6 in the front of the box to keep the front ATV bumper from hitting the back window of the truck. I can't close the tailgate. If the box was 3" longer I could. I use a ratchet strap to tie the back down and another one on the front. You will have to add D-Rings to the front of the box, don't use the rail system. There are several threads on adding D-Ring tie downs.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma AC 4x4
217 Posts
I haul my Polaris Scrambler in my Tacoma with out any problems. It ways just over 600 pounds and hasn't bent my tailgate. I had my ramps shortend a couple inches so that they fit under my quad with the tailgate closed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I load my LTR in the bed all the time. It helps me getting out to the trails with traction. But with the bike being 50" wide, I have to ride over the wheel wells, which is a pain. Enough room to close the tailgate and put the ramps behind the swingarm on my long bed :thumbup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm considering buying a DC 4*4 longbed taco and want to know if I can drive a 650lbs Honda Foreman up into the bed of the truck using a ramp? Will the tailgate take it? I have a nissan titan now and have no problems with all the weight on the tailgate, I just have problems with the truck itself :(

What's your latest MPG too while replying..thanks in advance.:clap:
I did exactly what your planning- traded in the Titan for the TRD sport LB 4x4- DEFINETLY make sure that you've got the 4 leaf spring pack- and if not- get the dealer to put it on before buying the truck. I average around 17.5 MPG's- mixed driving 50/50 city/highway... when i behave- i can push to 18- 18.5 with more highway. Just got back from a 3 hour trip with the cruise set at 82 mph- got 16 mpgs...

you'll notice that the cruise doesn't stay speed constant as well as the Titan does- and get more variation when going up hills... and the acceleration isn't as great- but it's good. When you get on her- she'll respond though- and that's when you'll start to go down in the MPGS drastically. Doesn't take much to screw up a tank... I've had my tacoma for 2 months now- 4000 miles on it- so i'm hoping that the MPG will still improve a bit- but i'm not regretting my decision. only thing i CAN'T STAND is that the clear measurement between the wheel wells in the bed is like 47.5". DRIVES ME NUTS- one freaking half an inch off... what the heck were they thinking...???

·
Registered
07 DC 4x4 Taco IR
191 Posts
I load a Z400 into my truck using ramps and never had a problem. It fits snug between the wheelwells with a 44in width on the quad. I have the short bed and can't close the tailgate, but there is no weight sitting on it. I measured the 'sag' with the quad loaded which is about 400lbs and it is about an inch, which I think is reasonable. I also have the base model, so I don't have the stiffer TRD suspension and I didn't do the TSB and I have never hit the bump stops as far as I know. I added front d-rings, that is a must if you can't close the tailgate. I go about 100 miles each way on highway with only 1 large incline to go over which slows most other trucks down and my truck cruises up it without any hesitation. I get about 18mpg normal daily driving and about 17mpg loaded and going about 75mph. I haven't gotten less than 17mpg or more than 18mpg no matter the circumstances. It's also still the stock set up with about 4k miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts