Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I drive a 2003 corolla s, 4 cylinder. I'm trying to get it smogged. Check engine light was on a few months ago, code was P0420. I then disconnected the battery to swap out my radio. Code was cleared, I waited for it to come back. It didn't. OK, must be something transient I think.

Flash forward to last week. I go to get my car smogged and fail because a number of tests aren't ready. Mechanic gives me vague directions on how to do a drive cycle. I look up more specific directions. They include:
1. starting the drive cycle after the car has sat for 8 hours, and idling for 3 minutes
2. Driving at 40 mph for 10 minutes

I keep forgetting to stop and let the engine idle when I get into my car to get somewhere, and there isn't anywhere around me where I can drive 40 (highway speed is 65, streets are 30)

Do I have to do all of these exact things for a drive cycle, in sequence, all together to perform one whole and complete drive cycle in one sitting, or will it work if I do each component of them, and not necessarily in order? Apparently it's not "a normal driving cycle" for me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Basically, if I don't perform all of the actions that result in a complete drive cycle for the ecu all in sequence in one sitting, do I have to wait till the next day for my engine to cool down to room temperature and attempt to do a complete cycle in one sitting? Or are the tests run independently and the ecu records a result once each of them has been independently completed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, using a better code reader, looks like the catalyst monitor test isn't ready. How do I make it ready? Doea the service bulletin for the 2002 corolla apply to the 2003 corolla?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any actions that will spoil an attempt at running a cycle and require you to start over? I tried driving it according to the Toyota 2002 ECU service bulletin (start hot, drive at 40-55 for 7 minutes, then slow down to 35-45 for 7 minutes) on the freeway.

Are there exact guidelines? The graph they show implies to me that it's 7 unbroken minutes of driving within that exact range, neither going over or under, soft accel and decel, no stops and no turning off in between. Can I, for instance, stop or slow down? What if I momentarily exceed those speeds? What if I drive at those speeds for those exact amounts of time? Does the test have to repeat a certain number of times?

Is there anyone that knows how the software for ECUs operates? Is there a guaranteed, testable, and repeatable way to make the ECU run the test and return a usable result that will pass smog?

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
every car has specific monitor parameters... the 'real world' parameter is 'drive it for a week'... that will set the most stubborn of monitors...

:)

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
16 Scion tC
19,660 Posts
Never heard of a drive cycle, lol... weird.

Here before we smog, we usually just drive it a mix of city and highway... people will usually tell you to take it on the highway and give it a good spirited drive before going back to the emission center, this way the engine is fully warmed up.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,842 Posts
Are you in California? The only monitor that does not need to be ready is egr. Hard to believe that the cat monitor isn't ready. You may have an issue with one or both o2 sensors. Could also be a cat problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts