Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace the passenger driveaxle on a 96 LE 5S-FE. The problem is I can't get the intermediate shaft out. I have removed the bearing retaining bolt and the snap ring from the bearing support bracket. I have taken the outer drive shaft off and I can't get it out. I broke a 3 ft pry bar and tried a hand sledge and punch. I am going nuts. Anyone encounter this problem and if so what did you do?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
robdelaney said:
I am trying to replace the passenger driveaxle on a 96 LE 5S-FE. The problem is I can't get the intermediate shaft out. I have removed the bearing retaining bolt and the snap ring from the bearing support bracket. I have taken the outer drive shaft off and I can't get it out. I broke a 3 ft pry bar and tried a hand sledge and punch. I am going nuts. Anyone encounter this problem and if so what did you do?
encoutered this very same problem attempted to change clutch on a 1mzfe, never able to take it out, even took out the driver side axle and hammered the passenger axle from the driver side through the intermediate shaft with a metal rod, and didn't work, pry bar didn't work either.
the hayes manual says remove the lock bolt and snap tring, then pull it, obviously it didn't work, so ended it up left it alone, still wondering if anyone else know any trick to take it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I finally got it out. I took out the whole motor mount assembly and still had a hell of a time getting it apart. It took some torching and a hand sledge but I finally won after cleaning out the bearing support the new axle went in like a dream. But now I still have a clicking noise when I shift from Park to Reverse or from reverse to drive and backwards. Could it be my mounts?

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
its a lot of work, thats for sure... those bearings sometimes rust up in there and freeze the clicking noise could be because the axle isnt in all the way... is the bearing all the way in and the snap ring installed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts