Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
2014 HL AWD LTE Blk/Blk
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somesone please explain to me or provide me links to each of the items below. I'm just wondering if these things worth nearly $2,700.

Driver Technology Package — includes
- Safety Connect
- Pre-Collision System with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC),
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA)
- Automatic High Beam Headlights

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can somesone please explain to me or provide me links to each of the items below. I'm just wondering if these things worth nearly $2,700.

- Safety Connect
These features are all great to have, and you can get a DISCOUNT on your insurance if you buy a car equipped with these features.
Emergency Assistance ...Safety connect

A helping hand when you need it.

This is an in-vehicle button drivers can push in the event of an emergency. 24/7 response center assistance agents can dispatch the necessary emergency services to the vehicle's location in case of a medical or other emergency on the road.

Stolen Vehicle Locator

Your partner against crime.

An enhancement to the many security measures in the vehicle that are designed to deter theft, Safety Connect® 7 helps provide increased vehicle security and makes vehicles less desirable to thieves. In the event that an enrolled vehicle is stolen, once a police report is filed and the 24/7 response center is notified by the vehicle's owner, our response center agents can assist the authorities in locating the vehicle using GPS technology. That means the vehicle is more likely to be recovered quickly, which may help minimize damage.

Roadside Assistance

Let us get you moving again.

The 24/7 Safety Connect® 7 response center is available for roadside assistance via the SOS button. Drivers can receive aid for a wide range of needs, such as towing, jump starts, flat tires and emergency fuel delivery. Safety Connect® helps alleviate the need for additional membership organizations for roadside help.

Automatic
Collision Notification

We'll call for help if you can't.

In case of an airbag deployment or a severe rear-end collision, the response center will automatically be notified. The 24/7 response center agent will attempt to speak with the vehicle's occupants and will notify local emergency services of the situation, requesting dispatch of emergency services to the vehicle's location.

Subscription

Four great services. One low price.
In-Annual Subscription Fee: $139.95

Subscriptions can be customized to vehicle purchase or lease terms
Multi-year discounts available

Subscription Renewals

1-year complimentary trial subscription with the purchase of equipped new MY10 or later Toyota vehicles
Renewal subscriptions required to extend services
Non-certified or Certified Used vehicles
Private-party purchases of previously owned vehicles
Paid subscriptions may be cancelled for prorated refunds

Most all cars and SUV's are adding the Lane Alert feature which will alert with a sound if you are crossing over the line or alerts you to a car approaching from the side. With alot of blind spots these days with auto designs, these are very helpful IMO.

• Toyota collision avoidance system in development
  • System helps drivers avoid crashes
  • Can help prevent higher-speed crashes
New tech from Toyota will help drivers avoid crashes. The Pre-Collision System uses radar to detect possible crashes, then helps drivers slow down accordingly. Unlike many systems, it can even help prevent high-speed crashes.
Toyota says the Pre-Collision System uses radar to detect vehicles. If it detects a pending crash, the system alerts drivers to brake. Once the driver applies the brakes, the Pre-Collision System helps by increasing brake power. Should a driver not try to stop, the system will brake anyway, though it won't use as much force.
Interestingly, the Pre-Collision System won't stop a vehicle. Instead, it slows cars by up to 38 miles per hour--that's because more than 90 percent of rear-end crashes happen when the difference in speed between front and back vehicles is within 38 miles per hour. So the system won't save drivers every time, but it will help in the majority of cases.
The system can also slow vehicles at high speeds. While similar systems--like Volvo's CitySafe--only work at low speeds, the Pre-Collision System won't. Instead, it helps slow cars at any speed.

·
Registered
438 Posts
New tech from Toyota will help drivers avoid crashes. The Pre-Collision System uses radar to detect possible crashes, then helps drivers slow down accordingly. Unlike many systems, it can even help prevent high-speed crashes.
Not sure I like this. I have commented before about how the stability control systems in my 2011 HL change the vehicle behavior unexpectedly and interfere with my long developed driving instincts in ways that.... to ME anyway...... cause confusion and unexpected behavior just when I DON'T need it. For example, under very specific conditions (that have happened three times in the three years I have owned the vehicle), the stability system altered the steering behavior and I almost drove into a curb during a turn.

I worry about the Pre-Collision system for the same reason. I can't think of a more confusing and startling event than having my vehicle suddenly apply the brakes and/or amplify my braking action. I understand that if properly designed, this will only occur in the moments before I crash. But I can see it possibly happening AS I notice and start to react to the impending crash, adding to the confusion.

Has anyone actually used lane departure or side traffic warnings? How easily interpreted are they? Unless one were used to them, I am wondering if they just look like any other dash warning for a second or two..... ie., before you sort out what beeped. And those couple seconds are the ones that count, no? How does the vehicle know you are UNINTENTIONALLY departing your lane?

Paul

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Not sure I like this. I have commented before about how the stability control systems in my 2011 HL change the vehicle behavior unexpectedly and interfere with my long developed driving instincts in ways that.... to ME anyway...... cause confusion and unexpected behavior just when I DON'T need it. For example, under very specific conditions (that have happened three times in the three years I have owned the vehicle), the stability system altered the steering behavior and I almost drove into a curb during a turn.

I worry about the Pre-Collision system for the same reason. I can't think of a more confusing and startling event than having my vehicle suddenly apply the brakes and/or amplify my braking action. I understand that if properly designed, this will only occur in the moments before I crash. But I can see it possibly happening AS I notice and start to react to the impending crash, adding to the confusion.

Has anyone actually used lane departure or side traffic warnings? How easily interpreted are they? Unless one were used to them, I am wondering if they just look like any other dash warning for a second or two..... ie., before you sort out what beeped. And those couple seconds are the ones that count, no? How does the vehicle know you are UNINTENTIONALLY departing your lane?

Paul
I have this 'collision avoidance system' in my 2013 Chevy Equinox. It has gone off unexpectedly several times when there are no cars anywhere near me...... That said... it's a good safety feature if you happen to be looking out the side window or rear view mirror and a car stops in front of you.

·
2014 HL AWD LTE Blk/Blk
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys.
Actually the price for the Driver Technology Package is around $1400. I will probably pass it. It could be bad to have too many tech on the car. The Infiniti QX60 is having some issue with the brake which is probably link to something like Pre-Collision System with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) tech that they have. The 2014 MDX is having issues with the screen/controller.

·
2014 HL AWD LTE Blk/Blk
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also,
- Does anybody have the digital version of the owner's manual?
- Does the car require premium gas?

·
Registered
18 Posts

Paul
There is a "PCS" button under the dash, well hidden below the steering wheel, that can turn this function on/off. If on, it lights on the dashboard. So you can control its use. I test drove a Limited Platinum and the LDW (lane departure) and Adaptive Cruise Control features, to me, are well worth getting the package. They can be easily controlled as well. The cruise function allows you to set the speed exactly (show the MPH) and set from 1-3 car lengths for it to react to. Cruise speed adjusts accordingly, even to a full stop if the car in front stops suddenly…which happened to me during a test drive on I-635 in North Dallas (Coppell).

·
Registered
18 Posts

Paul
Re lane departure as I experienced in my reply above, if you have your turn signal on (pulled the lever up/down) then it does not alert you to crossing the lane markers. Encourages one to use their signals. Alert is viewed on the dashboard, and makes a sound. Re "side traffic" aka BLS, if a car is in your blind spot, an indicator lights in the appropriate outside mirror. Also, as you are backing up out of a parking area, and a car is coming from either side, alerts you as well (Rear Cross-Traffic function).

Agree that all this stuff can become an issue if one becomes too dependent on it…then drives another car without these features!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree, I am getting all the tech on my Limited, and you do have the option on all of it to use or not to use with the switches available to turn on or off. I like having the variety of having it, especially on trips, but perhaps not using it all the time.

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
I agree, I am getting all the tech on my Limited, and you do have the option on all of it to use or not to use with the switches available to turn on or off. I like having the variety of having it, especially on trips, but perhaps not using it all the time.

Personally - I LIKE having the collision avoidance on my Chevy Equinox... although it isn't implemented in the best way - but does give an added measure of forewarning.

I have Lane Departure on the NOX too.... which is aimed more for people nodding off at the wheel and drifting over the line.... or monkeying around with their stereo and drifting over the center line.... it works perfectly and 'beeps' at you if you do not use a turn signal because they assume if you don't use a turn signal before crossing the line, then you probably didn't MEAN to cross the line.

Only problem with the Chevy setup is that they offer only 2 levels of volume on the Lane Departure. The softer volume level is too soft to hear if you have on a stereo or if you are in 'sleep' mode.... but if you select the 'louder' setting...... it's still not quite as loud as I would want it, but the worst part is the Lane Departure volume setting is tied to the NOX's turn signal volume. So, if I turn up the LD volume setting... then all of a sudden my turn signal volume goes WAY up and it sounds like someone is breaking 2X4's every time the signal makes it's clicking sound.

lol

GM...... nobody sweats the details.

·
Resident Nutcase
'08 Highlander Limtd
12,163 Posts
Straight from Toyota:

Pre-Collision Brake system

(a) If the driving support ECU assembly determines that the possibility of a collision is high, the ECU sends the
pre-collision brake assist request signal to the skid control ECU. Upon receiving the signal, the skid control
ECU switches the brake assist to standby mode. When the driver depresses the brake pedal, the skid
control ECU operates the brake assist based on the master cylinder pressure sensor.
(b) If the driving support ECU assembly determines an unavoidable collision, the ECU sends the pre-collision
brake request signal to the skid control ECU. The skid control ECU then activates the brake actuator
assembly as a pre-collision brake control and decelerates the vehicle. Thus, the system helps to lessen
impact in collision.
aka)
a) It boosts the brakes in a panic stop situation. Say you press it 50%, it goes straight to 100%
b) If your gonna hit no matter what, it will slam on the brakes automatically to lower the speed as much as possible before impact. This isn't a system that brings you to a stop before impact, only decelerating you prior to impact.

Lane Departure

1. OUTLINE
(a) The lane departure alert system uses a lane departure warning camera to detect lane markers on the road
surface and activates the lane departure warning when needed.
(b) The lane departure alert system also operates on roads with only one lane marker.
(c) The lane departure alert system is controlled by the lane departure warning camera.
(d) This system has a last memory function which memorizes the state of the lane keeping assist main switch
just before the engine switch is turned off and resumes the previous state when the engine switch is
turned on again.
-The lane departure alert system does not prevent lane deviation. It only alerts the driver of
lane deviation by displaying a warning message and sounding a buzzer.
-When the warning is activated, operate the steering wheel appropriately to guide the vehicle
back into the lane.
-The warning can be activated while the vehicle is being driven at approximately 50 km/h (30
mph) or more.
aka) it a buzzer and screen display warning, it won't auto correct or nudge the steering back into the lane

Automatic High Beam Headlights

Automatic High Beam
Sensor (Lane Departure Warning Camera)
-Determines when to turn the high beams on and off after identifying the lights of
oncoming vehicles, preceding vehicles and other lights from the picture information
of its camera sensor. Then, the sensor sends high beam request signals to the
main body ECU (multiplex network body ECU).
Active
When all of the following conditions are met, the automatic high beam system is activated and the automatic high beam indicator light turns on:
-The ignition switch is ON.
-The light control switch is in the AUTO or head position and the low beam headlights
are on.
-The dimmer switch is in the high beam position.
-The auto high beam switch is ON.
-The shift lever is in any position other than R.
High Beams on
When all of the following conditions are met, the automatic high beam system turns on the high beams after a short delay:
-Vehicle speed is more than approximately 34 km/h (21 mph).
-The area in front of the vehicle is dark.
-No oncoming vehicles are present with the headlights on.
-No preceding vehicles are present with the taillights on.
-Few streetlights are present along the street ahead.
High Beams off
When any of the following conditions is met, the automatic high beam system turns off the high beams after a short delay:
-Vehicle speed is less than approximately 27 km/h (17 mph).
-The area in front of the vehicle is not dark.
-An oncoming vehicle with headlights on is detected.
-A preceding vehicle with taillights on is detected.
-Several streetlights are present along the street ahead.
When passing an oncoming vehicle:
-The automatic high beam system turns off the high beams before an oncoming vehicle comes
within approximately 800 m (2625 ft.).
-When an oncoming vehicle passes out of camera sensor range, the automatic high beam system
turns the high beams on after a short delay.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great info Sweeneyp ! I should know everything about my new Highlander when it gets here with all these great post full of info from everyone !

·
2014 HL AWD LTE Blk/Blk
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really great info Sweeneyp. Looks like all the functions on this package can be turned off if wish. For $1400 I think it's worth getting it.

·
2014 HL AWD LTE Blk/Blk
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After going through the info above, the only option seems useful to me is the Pre-Collision System with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC). So basically I'm paying $1400 for this.

I just got a quote for a AWD Limited for $39,240 including destination fee. This is roughly $3k under MSRP. What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts