Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
New Convertible Owner
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fun... my driver's interior door handle broke off this morning after my 2000 Solara V6 SLE convertible started running rough for some reason. I'm wondering if it might be a coil pack or something, but still - that door handle thing is annoying.

I'm looking on ebay to see if I can find an inexpensive replacement and can't find a good one. Anybody have recommendations for where I can get a good replacement fairly inexpensively? And is it a fairly easy fix? I've read a few posts on here but want to make sure I get the right directions. Of course my shop manual is at home...

Barry

Jeremiah 29:11-13

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just totaled my car and I think my interior door handles are fine. If the handle is the same as the 2001 camry sedan, then I could sell you mine. I'd have to go to the junk yard to make sure though. Just let me know. :D

Reactions: mrstangblb

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think mine is the same, mine had to be replaced once before as well. The exterior driver's door handle had to be replaced also. I'm starting to think door handles aren't Toyota's strong point lol.

·
New Convertible Owner
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think mine is the same, mine had to be replaced once before as well. The exterior driver's door handle had to be replaced also. I'm starting to think door handles aren't Toyota's strong point lol.
Boy... you aren't kidding! You'd think they'd lay off the plastic or at least mold some metal into the handles to keep them from messing up.

Barry

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yea lol I've seen camrys around the same years as mine around town and half the time they have broken exterior handles lol. Just poor quality materials.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yea lol I've seen camrys around the same years as mine around town and half the time they have broken exterior handles lol. Just poor quality materials.
The replacement aftermarket one is better quality. I bought mine off of eBay. I had to give them my paint color code and wait a month, or something like that, but the results were really good. One other difference is that the OEM ones used wood screws and the aftermarket one uses machine screws. I think they were M6-1.0

I.E. - OEM screw:

Aftermarket screw:

And I had to provide my own machine screw. But I happen to keep M6-1.0 stainless steel bolts handy so it wasn't a problem.

·
New Convertible Owner
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The replacement aftermarket one is better quality. I bought mine off of eBay. I had to give them my paint color code and wait a month, or something like that, but the results were really good. One other difference is that the OEM ones used wood screws and the aftermarket one uses machine screws. I think they were M6-1.0
What company did you buy from?

Barry

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
What company did you buy from?
It was probably 2 years ago and I do not remember the eBay seller's name, and I don't have it saved. Now that think about it, the seller didn't even have an auction for the right color or year Camry door handle, but they had a bunch of other Camry exterior door handles. I emailed them with the color code and year and drivers side front door, and they got back with me on a price and availability and I bought it that way.

The color match was excellent and it was absolutely worth the wait.

·
New Convertible Owner
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may try something - since all replacements are plastic and will eventually fail, I may Dremel out a hole in both parts that broke, then cut a finishing nail. I will epoxy it in, glue it together and see how that works.

·
Administrator
14,394 Posts
Reactions: mrstangblb
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.