Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why doesnt the automatic window work in the up position? I have 05 DC 6 on the floor. I also have a 04 V8 4Runner SR5 that the wife drives that the Auto window works when putting the window up.

Or is it supposed to on my taco and there is something wrong with it?

Thanks
 

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
Joined
·
948 Posts
It's a child safety thing. They don't want the little ones hanging their heads out the windows and accidentally hitting the switch while trapping thier heads in the closing window. As far as your wife's window working as an "auto up," I would imagine that's a glitch. They aren't supposed to do that.

edit: After looking at some goverment regulations, I found what's called Smart Power Windows. These sense obstructions somehow and prevent the window from taking off fingers or hands. So I was wrong... I guess they do exist. But I know my Tacoma doesn't have them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
03 4runners have auto up on the drivers window. I was thinking of pulling the switch out of the 4runner and trying it on the Tacoma
 

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
Joined
·
10,653 Posts
montybones said:
03 4runners have auto up on the drivers window. I was thinking of pulling the switch out of the 4runner and trying it on the Tacoma
That would be worth a try. And a pretty cool mod.
 

·
Toyota Parts Manager
Joined
·
138 Posts
Auto UP Window

nomad said:
It's a child safety thing. They don't want the little ones hanging their heads out the windows and accidentally hitting the switch while trapping thier heads in the closing window. As far as your wife's window working as an "auto up," I would imagine that's a glitch. They aren't supposed to do that.

edit: After looking at some goverment regulations, I found what's called Smart Power Windows. These sense obstructions somehow and prevent the window from taking off fingers or hands. So I was wrong... I guess they do exist. But I know my Tacoma doesn't have them.
Many auto makers are now putting Auto-Up driver's side windows on their vehicles. Some higher end vehicles(BMW, Mercedes, Audi) have them on both front windows.

Some Toyota's have it on the Driver's side only. I'm pretty sure it will be standard on all models in the near future.

Toyota calls their safety feature on the Auto-Up windows "Jam Protection"

Edit: Current Toyota models with Auto-up: 4Runner, Landcruiser, Avalon(Dr & Pass sides), Prius, Solara, 06 Rav4(new model), Sequoia(Dr & Pass sides), and Sienna.
 

·
Registered
05 taco
Joined
·
200 Posts
on my 02 landcruiser all the windows are auto up and down, Wish they put that on the tacomas cuz i kinda miss it
 

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
Joined
·
10,653 Posts
So is somebody here going to look into swapping in a 4runner switch, or do I have to do it? This is a worth while mod that should get some attention.

Anybody have a friend with a newer 4-runner?
 

·
MMM TACO
06 Tacoma
Joined
·
581 Posts
my moms car has auto up and down on the drivers and passenger window, but my old 03 celica only have auto down on the drivers side, not sure why its so different, my dads tundra only had auto down on the drivers side too
 

·
Thrash Metal
05 BSP X-Runner
Joined
·
189 Posts
auto window

I wish they would come out with an auto sliding rear window :naughty:
 

·
Really Old Fart
07 TundraTRD Offrd
Joined
·
8 Posts
Heck, I kinda like the manual cranks in my '94 pickup...less things to go wrong after the warrantee expires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Its worth a try, but I've been told its in the wiring for the windows and not the switch itself. There is a relay that works in conjunction with the indent in the switch that gives it tha feature. I wanted to try swapping the switch for the passenger side with the same type as the drivers side just to get the auto "down" feature on both front windows.


Pb2theMax said:
So is somebody here going to look into swapping in a 4runner switch, or do I have to do it? This is a worth while mod that should get some attention.

Anybody have a friend with a newer 4-runner?
 

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
Joined
·
10,653 Posts
TacoSport05 said:
Its worth a try, but I've been told its in the wiring for the windows and not the switch itself. There is a relay that works in conjunction with the indent in the switch that gives it tha feature. I wanted to try swapping the switch for the passenger side with the same type as the drivers side just to get the auto "down" feature on both front windows.
Yeah, I thought about that. It probably takes more than just a new switch to make it work. Not sure where all the window circuitry goes to. Could be complicated. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
If I recall correctly, the wireharness for the driverside door goes into the side of the cab, just below the dash near parking brake (on automatics) . My hunch is that there is a relay in this area that works in-line with the power that feeds the window regulator and switch in the door panel.

For the passenger side door, the wireharness follows a similar path into the cab and plugs into a wirebundle thats tucked right behind the kickpad trim that covers the right hand side of the floorpan up to the bottom of the dash.

Pb2theMax said:
Yeah, I thought about that. It probably takes more than just a new switch to make it work. Not sure where all the window circuitry goes to. Could be complicated. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
somebody that has access to a 4runner FSM needs to lok up the wiring schematic...That will tell us alot
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top