Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Solara
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - 99 camry 4cyl, auto. Noticed when the car is in park, and I jack the drivers side, the tire will rotate...the passengers side does not rotate at all (it's locked out)

car has about 140k, seems to run and drive fine...any ideas?

thanks in advance

·
イリジウム
13,506 Posts
I thought they both should rotate, in opposite directions because how the differential operates.

The ring gear in the differential is locked in Park. But that should not affect the spider and side gears. ???

·
A camry n00b
390 Posts
Looks like you are beginner working on the car. Thats called as a "differential" behavior. In fact when I first started working on cars I posted a thread on TN asking if this behavior of tires was abnormal...Lol...dont worry, nothings wrong with your tires and yes do use the search button. Its way useful...

·
Registered
2000 Solara
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like you are beginner working on the car. Thats called as a "differential" behavior. In fact when I first started working on cars I posted a thread on TN asking if this behavior of tires was abnormal...Lol...dont worry, nothings wrong with your tires and yes do use the search button. Its way useful...
\\

thanks peshwa - yes, this is only the second camry transmission swap I've done...the last one was a few years ago, and I don't remember either side rotating when elevated???? but I'm old, and forget things easily - so maybe it did and just don't remember

thanks again

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
yeah, don't worry about. wheels are supposed to spin in opposite directions with tranny in Park gear. try turning the other wheel in opposite direction and see if it spins (it should).

it got me puzzled in past too hehe ;)

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
I did not know that the front wheels turn in opposite direction when the car is in Park.thanks in advance.
yeah it's funny to observe that :)
i was shocked too in past when i learned this is how it's supposed to be :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts