Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if been covered, I did a MINOR search, but no I didnt look REAL hard. I didnt see any real solutions or anything related to my issue really.

Here is my issue, I hit the down on the drivers window and sometimes it will roll down just fine...other times it will roll down part way, I stay on the button for a second, and then I have to push the window down till it catches up. (By that I mean, I manually push the window down to wherever the catch is)

It rolls up just fine usually, every once in awhile it will roll up and make a TERRIBLE WHAP!!! sound like its hitting something (there is a very small minor chip in the top of the glass...but its not anything big, no use to change the glass...its almost innoticable and nobody but me has ever even seen it).....

I am mostly just wondering what could be causing the glass to roll down WITH the switch all the time...everything seems to work fine, I took the door apart, the cables were not frayed, I cleaned my tracks (remember how very anal I am, I have done all 4 windows now twice since buying the car)...I dont see anything busted, damaged, cracked, chipped or otherwise broken in any way...I am most used to Acura/Honda window tracks so the Toyota is a lil new to me, I dont think my regulator is damaged in anyway...its more a annoyance than anything really....but I want my window to roll down properly....tired of my fingers sticking out for a sec to tap on the top of the glass to push it down.

Thanks in advance!!!

korrupt

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
When you had the door apart did you happen to check the track that the window rides along (not the cables or regulator)? There are two of them.. one in the rear and one in the front of the door. They could be sticking or bent a little bit. Also, Where your window attaches to the regulator itself (two plastic tabs with holes), Were those in good shape? If they crack the bolt could be free-floating and not actually attached to your regulator anymore. That could be why when your window sticks and you are holding the button and tapping the glass you hear a WHAP. The glass could be falling back onto the regulator.

So check your front / rear guides for bent tracks, and also check the clips that attach the window to the regulator for cracks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is GREAT help sir!!! I will be tearing into the car the next couple of weeks so I will investigate this, also be getting my super secret project done also I hope with a full write up and pics

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
That is GREAT help sir!!! I will be tearing into the car the next couple of weeks so I will investigate this, also be getting my super secret project done also I hope with a full write up and pics
:thumbsup: no problem :)

So what's this Super Secret Project you are speaking of :naughty:

·
Registered
1999 Camry
655 Posts
what he said. check the regulator (the "arms" or the "track")
freakin dealer wants 300usd to fix it. buy a regulator without motor online for 20usd and take 1 hour and fix it yourself. its an easy job.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what he said. check the regulator (the "arms" or the "track")
freakin dealer wants 300usd to fix it. buy a regulator without motor online for 20usd and take 1 hour and fix it yourself. its an easy job.

Sweet....I am gonna tear into a bunch tomorrow and windows are on the list...along with rear brakes(lexus upgrade), and check some clunking I been hearing in the back...LOTS of cleaning to come

Thanks man!!:thumbsup:

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Sweet....I am gonna tear into a bunch tomorrow and windows are on the list...along with rear brakes(lexus upgrade), and check some clunking I been hearing in the back...LOTS of cleaning to come

Thanks man!!:thumbsup:
you can get a complete regulator assembly off of ebay for like $60.00 already put together. If you buy just the motor, you have to un-wrap the steel cables and re-wrap them onto the regulator motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts