Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of times I have turned off my 01 Highlander, the driver's window just goes down about the time I am walking away. Any idea what is up with this???

Thanks!

·
03' HL Limited V6 175,xxx
239 Posts
Do you use your key to lock the car, because if you do, after a few seconds of the key turned in the drivers side key hole, the window will go down or up, depending on which way you have the key turned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to happen when I don't lock the car. I start to walk away and I hear the window going down!

·
03' HL Limited V6 175,xxx
239 Posts
I'm not sure, interesting....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this same problem,it was an easy fix. open your door you will see a black plastic plug near the door handle. pry it out with a small screwdriver shine a flashlight in the hole you will see a red plastic connecting link that should have metal rod with a 90 degree bend sticking through it.. take the plug out of the passenger side door and compare the two. now take a stiff wire and bend a hook on the end and carefully lift the rod back in place.you may have to push it back in the hole with a slender screwdriver while lifting it with the wire. also leave the key in the lock and have someone turn it slowly to help line up. i think this happens from slamming the door to hard. mine hasnt happened again since fixing. you could probably fix this easier by removing the door panel. but i didnt feel comfortable with all the clips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sport Driver you nailed it! The dealer found this after three attempts. It was exactly what you said. Thanks and good job figuring it out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sport Driver you nailed it! The dealer found this after three attempts. It was exactly what you said. Thanks and good job figuring it out!
glad you got it worked out, when this happens you will notice you cant open the door with the key or use the window down feature as this rod has to be connected. its kind of cheesy design because the rod doesnt have any retainer to hold it in the plastic link.

·
AvConsult
'02 Highlander V6
3,565 Posts
On similar topic, does anyone know how to disable the feature of the window rolling down when you use the driver door key? My wife doesn't carry my FOB, but uses her key, and it drives her nuts when driving my car!

·
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6
535 Posts
window

Hey AV, that window goes down only if you hold the key turned for a bit of time, no? A quick lock shouldn't trigger that. Maybe she could just activate the power door lock on the door itself as she's getting out, so she doesn't need the key. I do believe that feature, though, can be disabled through the body computer, which can be done by a Toyo service dept. Have you considered getting her a fob, perhaps through eBay? My HL came with 2 fobs.

·
MussMan
2004 Highlander
4 Posts
Thanks a lot Sport Driver, my driver's side window is doing the same thing off and on. I will check it out as you did and hopefully fix this issue for good. Thanks again for your post!!

·
AvConsult
'02 Highlander V6
3,565 Posts
Deep in the owner's manual (like in door lock section) it mentions the window behavior, apparently the factory default, and to see a Toy dealer for change.

The issue is that she doesn't want the FOB on her key chain--too bulky.

·
Registered
1988 Celica GT Conv
101 Posts
Drivers side window periodically goes down by itself

Sport Driver,

Thank you for the suggestion. I removed the door panel and the rod was not connected. I fixed that and will now see if the problem has gone away.

I wonder why the mechanical link to the lock would cause the window to go down as the window is electrically operated.

Maybe the rod where it goes into the electrical activator and moves when the door is shut creates a short that causes the window to go down. Strange.....

·
Registered
'07 Highlander Ltd
36 Posts
glad you got it worked out, when this happens you will notice you cant open the door with the key or use the window down feature as this rod has to be connected. its kind of cheesy design because the rod doesnt have any retainer to hold it in the plastic link.
Actually, the window down feature (if you mean the button lever on the door control panel) works in my case. And if the rod was not in place, I'm not sure why the window does not have this problem all the time. In my case, the window retracts after I remove the key from the ignition...but very infrequently. But I can compare the driver's side and passenger side as you suggest and see what's what. Thanks.

·
Registered
'07 Highlander Ltd
36 Posts
Folks - window still rolls down on its own with power off and key removed from ignition. So weird. Took it to Toyota dealership. They don't have a clue. Yet I see this problem has been experienced by many owners. I would think Toyota would have a technical bulletin on this issue.

·
Registered
1988 Celica GT Conv
101 Posts
Window Goes Down when the door is closed

See Sports Driver post #5 above. I followed his suggestion. I removed the inside door panel. Not a hard job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same problem,it was an easy fix. open your door you will see a black plastic plug near the door handle. pry it out with a small screwdriver shine a flashlight in the hole you will see a red plastic connecting link that should have metal rod with a 90 degree bend sticking through it.. take the plug out of the passenger side door and compare the two. now take a stiff wire and bend a hook on the end and carefully lift the rod back in place.you may have to push it back in the hole with a slender screwdriver while lifting it with the wire. also leave the key in the lock and have someone turn it slowly to help line up. i think this happens from slamming the door to hard. mine hasnt happened again since fixing. you could probably fix this easier by removing the door panel. but i didnt feel comfortable with all the clips.
I’m having the same problem with my driver window,going to try this after I get off work today and see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same problem with my driver window,going to try this after I get off work today and see if it fixes it.
Same problem here. But Linkage appears not to be the issue. Nothing is disconnected. There is a blue wire not connected to the window switch, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure, interesting....
My wife and I just got a 03 Sequoia last year. The previous owner had put a Viper system in it and when it gets cold or damp outside the front two windows and sunroof window will open on theire own. We thought that the Viper system was the issue but I have since removed the Viper and it still happens. We have got to in plug the controls from the door to keep the windows from going down over night. It is really getting on my last nerve. Any ideas?

·
Squirrel Chaser Extraordinaire
2004 Highlander Base
287 Posts
Check for a concealed window motor control module.

Most of the DEI manufactured alarm systems (this includes Viper) do not control window motors on their own, and require an associated module to accomplish this, and there is a temperature activated feature that will "vent" the windows at certain set-points. You need to find that DEI window motor control module, and disconnect it from the wiring harness.

[EDIT]
The really irritating aspect of the installation of these modules (read that as lazy installers) is that they have to be wired-in so that they take-over control of the the power window motors, and that usually means that you'll find them tucked into one of the doors, themselves (someplace close to the power window motors), in an attempt to minimize the labor required to install the required wiring.

It seems that, along with not using a soldering iron, installers don't want to fish wires through the harness weather boots at the hinge-side of the doors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts