Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have this problem? When pulling out from a stop and after coming to a stop It feels like there is something sticking in the drivetrain . It is almost like something in the drivetrain is not greased properly. The strange thing is that it only does this when the outside ambient temperature is below 55 degrees. It was really pronounced this summer and when it got cold it went away. The dealer says it is normal for this truck (They have that line down pretty good!). They also said that this is how the truck feels after the parts wear in or break in. If the parts wear that bad at 13000 miles I wonder what is in store for 130000 miles. I had this same issue with my last truck (2000 ford ranger) and after several trips to the dealer it ended up being the slip yoke assembly. Apparently the right grease was not applied and over time it begins to wear badly and stick. Not exactly sure if it is the same issue on my Tacoma or not. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
325 Posts
When you say sticking, do you mean you hear a sound also?? If so, I have a similar problem when pulling out from a stop as well, after rolling, there is this clunk sound that seems to "catch-up" with the truck once it starts moving- like something is sticking. I am not sure if this is tied to the leaf-spring issue and something about "wind-up" or a totally seperate problem. FYI- I have a '05 4x4 V6 Access Cab.

clfx34 said:
Anybody have this problem? When pulling out from a stop and after coming to a stop It feels like there is something sticking in the drivetrain . It is almost like something in the drivetrain is not greased properly. The strange thing is that it only does this when the outside ambient temperature is below 55 degrees. It was really pronounced this summer and when it got cold it went away. The dealer says it is normal for this truck (They have that line down pretty good!). They also said that this is how the truck feels after the parts wear in or break in. If the parts wear that bad at 13000 miles I wonder what is in store for 130000 miles. I had this same issue with my last truck (2000 ford ranger) and after several trips to the dealer it ended up being the slip yoke assembly. Apparently the right grease was not applied and over time it begins to wear badly and stick. Not exactly sure if it is the same issue on my Tacoma or not. Anybody have any ideas?

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It souds like we are describing the same problem. I don't hear a clunk but I sure do feel one. You are right, it does feel like somethings is trying to catch up. The strange thing is that it is only happening at 55 degrees and below. I am putting off going back into the dealer until I can unvestigate a little more on this thread. I am tired of the normal speach from the dealer. I have a V6 auto DC 4x4 05.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey fellas,

My 06 V6 SR5 DC ~2k miles totally does this too. It does this when I come to a stop. It feels like something underneath/behind me is shifting forward. I definitely feel it and I think I can hear it but I'm not sure if I imaging the sound to correlate with the movement. This only occurs 25% of the times I come to a stop. I live in Southern Ca so there seems to be no correlation with the weather for me. It's quite unnerving to have this happen on a new truck. If you guys find out anything more, please post. I hate the idea of taking it to the dealer without knowing exactly whats going on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey gang, Not sure if this is what you are experiencing....do a search on axle wrap. Could this be what you are talking about ? I get some axle wrap, and it doesn't happen all the time. Think it actually depends on how hard I'm braking when coming to a stop. Haven't noticed any difference due to temperature outside though. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You are right, the best way to describe it is that its a deep clunk that you can mostly feel, but also faintly hear. For me, this phenomenon isn't temperature dependant- this has been going on since May when I got the truck and its been definitely warmer than 55 degrees when I've noticed it. My guess it that there is some play in some components somewhere in the suspension- when the truck is at a standstill or is parked, the truck "settles," then you drive off and unseat the parts, causing the play to occur and the "clunk" sound/ feeling to materialize. My best sequence of events. Only going in forward from a standstill though, not in reverse.

So far, from everyone that's responded, its not a cab-type dependant issue. Its from '05 4x4 V6 auto access cabs and d-cabs. Does anyone else who has a platform other than these types of platforms experienced this problem?? This should help us narrow it down to the drivetrain (4x4's only) or suspension (all types- regardless of drivetrain).

clfx34 said:
It souds like we are describing the same problem. I don't hear a clunk but I sure do feel one. You are right, it does feel like somethings is trying to catch up. The strange thing is that it is only happening at 55 degrees and below. I am putting off going back into the dealer until I can unvestigate a little more on this thread. I am tired of the normal speach from the dealer. I have a V6 auto DC 4x4 05.

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I originally took the truck to the dealer for this problem the tech put it up on the lift and them in nuetral. He showed me the parts that had some play in them and said this is what I am feeling. He said this is what happens when the parts of the driveline start to break in. The temperature thing totally negates that theory. It was really annoying this summer with the hot temperatures. As someone mentioned earlier, it is really unerving to have this in a brand new truck. The temperature things leads me to believe that it is a computer or electronic problem. Or maybe the cold temperature is keeping the fluids thicker in the differentials... I don't know. I might try swaping the diff. fluid and see what happens. It won't make a difference until it gets warmer outside though. Thanks for the comments and suggetstions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.