Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Camry
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of replacing the car battery, I broke off the bolt on the front of the battery bracket, which was very rusted. I'm having a hard time getting it out because it's in an awkward position (I have to remove some other rusted bolts to get better access/remove the bar it is stuck in, but so far the PB blaster hasn't worked as hoped).

My question is how safe is it to drive around with the bracket only half bolted down? Or any tips for getting it out?

Hood Trunk Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
イリジウム
14,176 Posts
Others might have better ideas. I'd just use a titanium drill bit of a smaller diameter than the M6 bolt. Then followed by a tap. Or use a self-tapping sheet metal screw.

Make sure there isn't anything underneath it when you drill and tap, like the headlamp housing.

·
イリジウム
14,176 Posts
^+1, also in the mean time, fold some thick shop rags and put it on top of the battery to help hold it, but not too thick to bend your engine hood.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You could try sliding the battery a tiny bit more forward and then use a bolt and nut through the other existing hole.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
15,532 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a universal battery hold down kit (steel tray, two J-hooks), I'm just questioning how strong it is when bolted to the battery tray bracket. This could be something you could do if you are unable to remove the broken bolt.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
13 Posts
My dad was a master of what he called a temporary fix. That usually meant it would always be the way of the temporary fix. Bungee cords?

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
15,532 Posts
My dad was a master of what he called a temporary fix. That usually meant it would always be the way of the temporary fix. Bungee cords?
Ratchet strap would actually work.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Alternately you can use any thin bracket/hvac strap or metal piece underneath that light fixture plastic or left of the holder here is another existing bolt. Make another hole on the battery holder strap. Put a bolt-nut there.

Or do the same thing with the metal piece/strap using the self-drilling bolt and then bolt it back to the battery holder.

If it is possible to pull it fwd a little, that idea of bolt and nut into the other existing hole would work... Longer M6 bolt washer+washer nut. And then holder goes on that with just a nut on top.

Automotive tire Hood Trunk Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
06 Toyota Camry XLE, 16 Corolla S
711 Posts
Drill it out and replace the bolt with a new one. Or use a bolt up from the bottom and put a nut on it.

·
Registered
2006 Camry
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to get some help in drilling it out (my own drill was not good enough), and now replacing it with a new bolt. Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ya never wanna drive with it half way on. It could fall against the positive terminal on battery and cause a lot bigger problems. Glad ya were able to fix it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts