Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I got my pre-owned Avalon TRD from out of state. I notice my DRL is set as low beam. I want to set it up as the orange parking light will be on and headlights in low power. Which is what most Avalon XSE/TRD i seen in dealership here in CA. I read in the manual that there are two options which is mentioned above but only dealer can set it. However during my scheduled maintenance. I asked dealer to change to the other setting. They have no clue and said they’re are not allow to change anything or how it’s light up as it’s CA law. Total BS. anyone here knows how? Couldn‘t find anything for the 5th gen Avalon only older models that you cut a fuse or something.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

this is what I want as DRL. orange parking light is on and headlight is at low power.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

This what my current DRL setup looks like, only headlight is on in low beam. Full power.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi I got my pre-owned Avalon TRD from out of state. I notice my DRL is set as low beam. I want to set it up as the orange parking light will be on and headlights in low power. Which is what most Avalon XSE/TRD i seen in dealership here in CA. I read in the manual that there are two options which is mentioned above but only dealer can set it. However during my scheduled maintenance. I asked dealer to change to the other setting. They have no clue and said they’re are not allow to change anything or how it’s light up as it’s CA law. Total BS. anyone here knows how? Couldn‘t find anything for the 5th gen Avalon only older models that you cut a fuse or something.

View attachment 352597
this is what I want as DRL. orange parking light is on and headlight is at low power.
I'm in the same boat, if anyone has an answer to the OP, I'd be interested too. Just to clarify, this setting is on page 204 of the manual, under "Daytime Running Light system", it says:

Type A:​
The daytime running lights illuminate using the same lights as the low beam headlights and illuminate dimmer than the low beam headlights.​
Type B:​
The daytime running lights illuminate using the same lights as the parking lights and illuminate brighter than the parking lights.​

So how to change from Type A to Type B, that is the question. From the manual, it doesn't sound like the DRL's can be both the parking light and low power headlights, sounds like it is one or the other.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
16,189 Posts
If it is not in any display settings then the only method is through TechStream or if Carista has the features.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Parking lights are not bright enough to be DRLs

turn signals are bright enough
Look at the picture from the OP. The main parking lights and turn signals are the same light. That's why the manual mentions the DRL's as "parking lights". The side amber lights in the headlight assembly face towards the side of the vehicle and can never be used as DRL's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts