Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would swear my wife's 2018 RAV4 has the "DRL Off" on the light stick. But what I found quite by accident in another car that I owned that did not have the option to turn off the DRL's (2001 Camry) was to have the parking brake on enough to cause the "Brake" light to come on, but not enough to actually engage the parking brake. One or two clicks from being fully "off" worked. You may try that to see.

·
Registered
778 Posts
How i can disable drl ..ihave rav4 2018 le ..when im start engine the light on with it ..iwant ..turn off the light stick no have drl off switch.
What country is your RAV4 designed for? DRL on vehicles sold in many countries cannot be disabled since it must be functional by law.

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
I would swear my wife's 2018 RAV4 has the "DRL Off" on the light stick. But what I found quite by accident in another car that I owned that did not have the option to turn off the DRL's (2001 Camry) was to have the parking brake on enough to cause the "Brake" light to come on, but not enough to actually engage the parking brake. One or two clicks from being fully "off" worked. You may try that to see.
On older Toyota's DRL cannot be turned off. On at least 2007+ the DRL can be turned off but whether or not it can be turned off is dependent on country.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Curious as to why you would want to disable a safety feature on a vehicle?
There are times you want to keep the car running and don't want the DRL's/headlights on. For ex. visiting Christmas light displays where people decorate their entire yard, you can sometimes stop, sit and watch the displays, especially if they are timed to music being played that you can tune in to on the radio, its far less intrusive if you can turn off your lights. There are other times, like the Navy base I used to work at had a policy that you were supposed to turn off your lights before going through the gate, they had their own lights that almost made the gate area as bright as daylight. On my 2001 Camry, I was told many times, by the guard, to turn off my lights and I had to show them I could not, it was not until years later, by then I had moved on to a different job, I found a work around (i.e. the brake handle trick I mentioned earlier). It's no longer an issue now that both mine and my wife's cars (I confirmed, her 2018 RAV4 does have the "DRL Off" position) have the ability to disable the DRL's when wanted. And other than automatically turning on the headlights for you, which I really do like, I completely doubt the "safety" of running headlights/DRL's full time. It used to be seeing a car with headlights on during the daytime was a unique sight, so yes, it drew attention to them, now with everyone having their headlights on, it draws no more attention than when cars didn't have DRL's and did not have their headlights on during the day.

·
Registered
778 Posts
It used to be seeing a car with headlights on during the daytime was a unique sight, so yes, it drew attention to them, now with everyone having their headlights on, it draws no more attention than when cars didn't have DRL's and did not have their headlights on during the day.
The purpose of daytime running lights has nothing to do with helping differentiate one car from another. It is to make vehicles more visible in daytime low light conditions such as during cloudy days, early mornings, early evenings and in shadows from structures and foliage. Here is a wiki article that discusses the history of DRL: Daytime running lamp - Wikipedia

Rear daytime running lights will be required on new vehicles sold in Canada beginning September 1, 2021.

The U.S. is unusual in that DRL is not required, DRL can be turned off and that high beam headlights can be used as DRL. Canada also allows high beam headlights to be used as DRL but that may change as Canada further distances its vehicle regulations from those of the U.S.

Those Navy gate monkeys must have been pretty clueless if they were questioning people about DRL since many vehicles including vehicles manufactured by Toyota didn't get DRL off switches until after 2006. Being ex-military and recently retired from a civilian role with Defense Department, I can assure you that the Navy's only reason for existence is to provide transportation services for the Marine Corps. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
If this doesn’t work. You’ll have to find a dealer or someone with dealer level scan tool who can access custom setting for the lights and shut it off. Some of my older Toyota’s I know you can just remove the relay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.