Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to disable my DRLs on a 2002 Tacoma? I pulled the fuse for the DRLs, but they continue to shine on. Go figure. Thanks for any info!

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
Do you mean Daytime Running Lights? I've never seen a 95-04 Tacoma that had them before. My truck has all the goodie packages too. What bulbs are illuminated when they're on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Im refering to Daytime Running Lights. The headlights come on when the truck starts. They shine at about 75% brightness. It refers to them in my owners manual. I like to run Sylvania Silver Stars in my vehicle's, and they only lasted about 9 months because of being on daily.

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
Wow, I didn't even know any 95-04 Tacomas had that feature. I knew 4Runners did though. Good luck on the mod.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Toyota considers DRL's an option on most of their products.
The option is often included on vehicles with "Limited" trim packages.

I found out that for 2000 Tacoma's, the DRL option was associated with the anti-lock brake option; they came together as options on units with the top-end trim package.

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
Good info :thumbup:

·
Registered
905 Posts
the DRL were an option as well as abs on my truck. i was able to get the truck without abs but every single truck on the lot had DRL's

·
Registered
2000 TRD Taco
252 Posts
I have a 2000 tacoma, is the wire still the white w/ black stripe?

I did not seem to see that wire on mine.... I guess I will need to look a bit closer...

·
Registered
01 & 04 S-Runners
567 Posts
I believe DRL's first appeared as an option bundled with the 4-wheel ABS package in the 2000 model year. If I recall correctly, it remained bundled within the optional ABS package for 2 years, and then became a separate option by itself effective with the 2002 model year.

DRL's were not 'factory' / 'standard' on any US market Tacoma up through 2004.

·
Registered
534 Posts
jwl0811 said:
Yes, Im refering to Daytime Running Lights. The headlights come on when the truck starts. They shine at about 75% brightness. It refers to them in my owners manual. I like to run Sylvania Silver Stars in my vehicle's, and they only lasted about 9 months because of being on daily.
Silverstars are crap. They burn out way to soon. Try Hella xenon blues; a good quality WHITE light that won't leave you in the dark (premature burnout). I've used both, and can say without a doubt that Hella's are a superior bulb. I have them in my Tacoma and my wife's Civic. Overall a great bulb. (No, I don't work for Hella, just a very satisfied customer!):)

·
Registered
01 & 04 S-Runners
567 Posts
dufremle said:
I have the DRL's but I do not have ABS.
Apparently it *was* possible to get DRL's by themselves (without the ABS package) in 2001. The later 2001 factory spec sheet I have lists DRL's only with the ABS Package. I found an older factory press release which lists the DRL's as a separate option.

There's no such discrepancy in the 2000 model year documentation, though ...

·
Registered
2000 TRD Taco
252 Posts
Although this is all grat info, it does not help my situation....

I think I found the wire and just need to get a simple switch and the right gauge wire.....

·
Registered
01 & 04 S-Runners
567 Posts
jentzschman said:
I have a 2000 tacoma, is the wire still the white w/ black stripe?

I did not seem to see that wire on mine.... I guess I will need to look a bit closer...
Go to the online 2000 wiring manual documentation at:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/index.html

... and check the diagrams for DRL and non-DRL setups.

I have no idea what you're trying to figure out based on the skimpy clues in your post ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts