Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
06 toyota tacoma
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
when ever i hit 35-40 mph i feel a vibe through the gas pedal. also happens when i coast at that speed. this happen after 5100 installed set at 1.75. anyone have the same problem ?

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
What you're describing is "the vibe". A good percentage of Tacoma owners have that exact same problem, in the same MPH range, after doing the exact same mod you just did. I could be wrong, but I think the only solution is to go back down to stock.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma
12 Posts
I agree with Nohara but when I took my Billies from .85 back to stock. I did and still do have the vibration, it is not as bad but it is still there. Seems to be caused by the front differential, it is very disappointing and expensive.

·
Registered
06 toyota tacoma
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rediculous.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
Since I'm kinda tracking (in my head) when people are discovering the vibe, how many miles you got on your '05?

·
Registered
06 toyota tacoma
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
<<<>>>
67 Posts
Before You go back to stock height try toytec diff drop kit. It's 30 bucks. My 5100's are set at 2.5 and i have 86k plus on my truck. No VIBE:)))

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
You can at least confirm it's the dreaded vibe. Begin by reading this thread because it summarizes your problem and provides a few links that will save you some searching:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338228&highlight=vibe
You beat me to it! :lol:

As you will see, I had this vibe again when I initially installed my 5100's at 1.75". It was short lived. I don't know if the bearing seated itself once and for all or what, but it only lasted about 500 miles and I haven't heard or felt it since (that was almost eight months ago) We shall see when it starts freezing around here again, as that is when I originally noticed the problem with my Toytec lift. If it returns I will be pulling the bearing and replacing it.

I have to agree with NVATaco, I think suspension geometry has everything to do with this vibe and nothing to do with mileage. My truck only had 10k miles on it when I noticed the vibe the first time.

·
Registered
06 toyota tacoma
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was thinking about the dif drop. so you said it only lasted a few hundred miles?

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
It really depends on your situation. I took mine down to the .85 setting and added the diff drop and "thought" it went away...until I got quieter tires and realized I just couldn't hear it before. In a lot of cases, people with MT tires probably have the vibe at stock heights but just don't know it (that's my opinion anyway). So in the end, the diff drop only helped a little bit. I have read (and I would have to agree) that the 1" diff drop only fixes a half inch worth in the angles because it lowers the front 1" while leaving the rear at the same height.

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
Its all downhill from here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts