Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I changed my oil, plugs, filters and did a lube and rotation.
I put this Engine air filter in 26,000 miles ago. It's part number EAA238. The last 26K was full of wheeling, towing near max tow capacity and long cross country trips. The intake side of the filter had lots of mud and bugs. Most of the mud was caked to the plastic housing. There was a 4" wingspan butterfly in there in perfect condition, no breaks on the wings:lol:. The filter was brown and the low points where full of dirt. The engine side of the filter still looked brand new, bright blue, no sign of any dirt. It runs $26 and given its condition I think its well worth it. I replaced it with the same filter.

P.S. I run a snorkel. That explains the large bugs.
Anyone else have any experience with this filter?

Intake Side

Engine side

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the amsoil stuff significantly more expensive then say Valvoline synthetic fluids?

Probably; A case of 12 quarts of Signature Series 0W-30 runs $92.25

A couple years back I made a one time payment to become a prefered customer which gives me discounts on all products.
I do run extended intervals on all fluids though so in the end it doesn't cost any more.
I changed my rear diff about 6 months ago that had 20K miles of Amsoil in it and the fluid that came out looked brand new. I do 50-60K on the pumkins and transfer case now. 7-8K on the engine. Only thing keeping me from running 15K on the oil is I don't trust the Amsoil Filters for that long:lol:

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Do you run the Severe Gear Oil? I am getting ready to do my initial 30k fluid change and want to run a quality synthetic to help in the cold winter months. It looks like it runs about $13 a quart as opposed to $8.50 a quart for the valvoline.

Looks like that preferred customer program is $20 a year, it allows you to purchase all their products at wholesale prices.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you run the Severe Gear Oil? I am getting ready to do my initial 30k fluid change and want to run a quality synthetic to help in the cold winter months. It looks like it runs about $13 a quart as opposed to $8.50 a quart for the valvoline.

Looks like that preferred customer program is $20 bucks a year. And you can purchase all their products at wholesale prices.
No I don't run the severe gear, don't think I need it in my climate and use, . Yeah your right, it's not a one time payment like I said. I think if you spend $200 a year it comes out cheaper though. It tells you the math somewhere on the website. I probly do $200-300 a year on regular maintinance products.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Do you think the severe gear oil would be worth it in my case? Or could I get by with just regular synthetic? I tow 2000 lbs on a regular basis and the temperature can be sub zero during the winter.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Do you think the severe gear oil would be worth it in my case? Or could I get by with just regular synthetic? I tow 2000 lbs on a regular basis and the temperature can be sub zero during the winter.
I think you'd be fine without the severe gear. I would only pay more for that If I did heavy towing regularly(Dually pulling horses). 2k isn't much, But it never hurts to get the good stuff if you can afford it. Just don't do like me and dump out perfectly good oil cause you were borred and decided to changed it:rolleyes::rolleyes:

EDIT: On another note I run 0W-30 in the engine apposed to 5W-30 for less friction. The temperature in KY doesn't fluctuate outside the tolerences of Zero Weight.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like that preferred customer program is $20 a year, it allows you to purchase all their products at wholesale prices.

Kinda ironic, I had a letter from Amsoil in the mailbox today. My year membership was coming to an end. It even told me how much I saved over retail prices in the last year, which was $55.76. Minus the $20 membership and I still saved so it's a no brainer for me. I went ahead and re-uped for 5 years for $80.

·
Man in Blue.
923 Posts
Kinda ironic, I had a letter from Amsoil in the mailbox today. My year membership was coming to an end. It even told me how much I saved over retail prices in the last year, which was $55.76. Minus the $20 membership and I still saved so it's a no brainer for me. I went ahead and re-uped for 5 years for $80.
I'm thinking of going with the longer term membership. I like their oil, and I just put one of these air filters in a few weeks back.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That is a serviceable air filter isn't it? Did you reuse your or did you just pick-up another one?
Yes you can clean it every 25K for a max life of 100,000 miles. Cleaning instructions are on there website.

I replaced, cleaning can't get all that stuff out. @ $28 Im ok with replacing every 30K

1 - 14 of 14 Posts