Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

recently bought a used tacoma (1998), and was heeding the saleman's advice to drive it in 4wd for about 10 miles every month. he didn't mention not to drive on dry roads, and i didn't think to ask (or apparently read the manual). so basically, here's the story:

4-5 miles of driving in 4wd + dry pavement + couple of parking manuevers (steering wheel turned almost all the way - yes, i did feel the truck shudder) + top speed of less than 40 mph

i've read about how much stress what i did puts on the drivetrain, so my question is:

the truck is since back in 2wd, and seems to be running fine. so, if there seems to be no problems, safe to assume i was just really lucky? or is there a need to have it checked out to make sure there was no damage?

thanks to all for any advice

·
Joe
2005 Hilux Tray Top
270 Posts
shudder

If every thing is OK now it is probably safe to assume that no damage has occurred the shuddering was probably tyre slippage.
Joe

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
don't know why it would hurt it. Just get worst gas milage and be carefull turning. In the past winter when the roads were bad I just put mine in 4hi and drove upto 65 miles and hour. no problems.

Lance

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
You didn't hurt anything. The shuddering you felt when the steering was at full lock is normal for any 4wd vehicle. The front tires are getting pushed along rather than turning the truck, and the CVs were binding up a bit. No need to worry.

·
Registered
'04Jetta GLi/'99Taco
107 Posts
I drove an entire tank of gas in 4-hi. Seemed more responsive on the highway, but mileage went south. Speeds in excess of 75 mph and no problems. Would take it out of 4wd to park it in a parking lot, though.

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
Yeah, you're fine, but I wouldn't recommend driving too much on hard surfaces in 4WD. I take my truck camping, offroading, and up to the mountain enough so I don't have to worry about keeping everything lubed up though.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
trd04taco said:
I take my truck camping, offroading, and up to the mountain enough so I don't have to worry about keeping everything lubed up though.
?!

Keep up with your maintenance, if you don't you may find that your parts live a short life.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
I think he means that he uses 4WD often enough to not worry about getting a minimum of 10 miles a month to keep the 4WD parts lubricated.
Of course you need to grease the parts at least as often as the maintenance schedule suggests.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts