Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while doing an oil change on a 2006 sienna i noticed the filter was clean and free of oil. anybody ever experienced this and it is a oil bypass problem? any ideas on how to fix? it was a puralator filter. thanks, dan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Funny you mention that, my 2005 had the same,most of the time the filter is empty but sometimes there is oil in it?? I didn't worry about it, so far 55,000 miles and no problems. My driveway has a slight slant towards the back so maybe the filter drains since it is horizontal.

·
Registered
177 Posts
WHAAAhhh??? I have a 2007 with the oil canister and replacable filter element and my filters are always filthy and coated with dark oil when I change it. No way I could describe it as clean.

There is definately something wrong that you need to get checked out.

If its clean and dry whats the point of having a filter in there in the first place?

·
Registered
446 Posts
WHAAAhhh??? I have a 2007 with the oil canister and replacable filter element and my filters are always filthy and coated with dark oil when I change it. No way I could describe it as clean.

There is definately something wrong that you need to get checked out.

If its clean and dry whats the point of having a filter in there in the first place?

The oil filter shouldn't be dried and clean even if it is horizontally or upside down mounted. Once oil flowed through the filter, the filter will remain oily and dirty (more or less). Something is definitely not right with your oil flow system, it might have not being filtered at all.

Easy to test this, pure some oil into a filter and place it upside down... after a week or so look at it. I bet it still is moist and oily.

Have it checked out.

·
Registered
2012 TCH
591 Posts
while doing an oil change on a 2006 sienna i noticed the filter was clean and free of oil. anybody ever experienced this and it is a oil bypass problem? any ideas on how to fix? it was a puralator filter. thanks, dan

Seriously, you should get this looked at--that's not normal. Once oil hits the filter it will remain oily. I bet the oil on the dipstick is quite dirty, huh?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts