Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Go Hokies!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, i've had my 2005 Double Cab Off-road for a few months now and it's finally time to starting adding to it. Number one on my priority list is a dual exhaust system. I've decided on the 5 x 8 x 18 Magnaflow (2.5 in/out...that's correct, right?) My question is, what should I go with? split straight out the back, or behind each wheel? Most people seem like they put it straight out the back, but i'm likin the split side exit. Opinions?

(if you have any good pictures of the 2005-2006 taco with a dual exhaust, place post)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
well you can look at my setup...Just look at my web page in my sig under mods..You probably can exit each side since you have alot more room being higher up. I had to exit both on the same side

·
Registered
848 Posts
Every Chevy, Ford, or Dodge I see w/ dual exhaust seem to have both pipes coming straight out the back. So I'm with you, one behind each wheel would look nice, and at least somewhat original.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Screw being original do something different...I really really wanted to have my pipes come out right before the rear wheels on each side.
BUT The frame is level with the body kit and the truck is to low to stick the pipe under that and cant go through the frame. Also the front spring perch got in the way. Sucks cause that woulda been pretty nice setup like that. Oh well maybe someday I will figure out how to get them there

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
LOL....:hammer::hammer: yea yea I wasnt thinking right on that one..I was thinking you said do what all the dodge and fords do

·
Registered
848 Posts
05XRunner said:
LOL....:hammer::hammer: yea yea I wasnt thinking right on that one..I was thinking you said do what all the dodge and fords do
If I was suggesting anything like that, I would expect my TN membership to be revoked immediately.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
If you live in a place that gets snow, straight out the back might be better. When the exit just behind the tires you get a lot more salt kicked up on them than you would with pipes straight out the back.
If you do any towing, Id run them out the sides. That way you dont have to worry about hitting one of the pipes on the trailer tongue while backing up and it allows you to turn sharper with the trailer.

·
Go Hokies!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Captain_Toyota said:
If you live in a place that gets snow, straight out the back might be better. When the exit just behind the tires you get a lot more salt kicked up on them than you would with pipes straight out the back.
If you do any towing, Id run them out the sides. That way you dont have to worry about hitting one of the pipes on the trailer tongue while backing up and it allows you to turn sharper with the trailer.
now theres some good advice...never thought about the towing thing. also backing my boat into the water, wouldn't want exhaust pipes in the salt water. i'm goin with out the sides.:whatwhat:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've actually been running a dual exit exhaust system for about half a year now. Here are some pictures of how mine look like and how the shop i went to ran my piping. By the way i thought about going straight out the back but then the spare tire seemed cause some problems so i decided to go behind the tires. I am using a magnaflow 5x8x14(go with the 18 if you dont want something too loud, lot of people say the 14 is loud but i dont mind really) with single 2.5 in and dual 2.5 out.

hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
That the 2nd way i wanted to run my pipes on my XR...have a cutout on each side and look stock that way. But since you are 4wd you got ALOT more room between the bed and rear end..I didnt have any extra room to send the pipe over to the other side.

Ohh is your truck true duals..Or just a 1inlet 2 outlet muffler

OHHH guess you edited it and answered my question

·
Go Hokies!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
um...no offense, but :barf:

maybe i need to see a full picture instead of a close up, but from those - not a big fan. i guess it has some potential to be cool if it's done right, but that third picture looks like crap. The F150 is not so bad, but dont think it would go well with the new taco at all

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
If you go with stainless exhaust, I dont think saltwater should hurt the pipes at all.
Personally, Id go with sidepipes that exit just ahead of the rear tires.
My brother had a '97 F-150 with exhaust like that and it looked frickin' sweet. Just a warning though, Ford later recalled those trucks because the exhaust caused the wheels to turn blue after a while. Apparently the exhaust gasses reacted badly with the aluminum wheels and caused the bluing.

·
Go Hokies!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you'd be surprised what saltwater will do...maybe not right away, but over time could definitely eat away - if left alone (the edges of my skis get rusty if i leave them in the garage just because of the salty air from being on an island!)...i'd be hosing it down after every use anyways, but i'd just be more comfortable leavin it out of the water altogether

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.