Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing dual lockers on my 86 Yota, and just to stop you all from freaking on me, it's a trail only rig and it's already locked in the rear. I just up graded my rear end and tranny to the turdo units and decided that I'm going to install these lockers myself. There mechanical lockers so it won't be to bad. I was told that if I marked every thing that it would go smooth, but a break down from some one that has done one would be great. I'm afraid that I'll over look something!!

Any help would be appreciated!!!!! :whatthe:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 93 with a SAS with ARB's(just so you know i have some sense in what your doing). I would take it to a shop. The whole installation is easy, dont get me wrong. But you have to get your gears realined. So unless you know how to do that. It isnt easy i can tell you that. But if you do know how, Have fun.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
What kind of mechanical locker are you installing?

If it is a "drop-in" type (Detroit EZ, Lock-Rite, Aussie), there really isn't too much to worry about. Mark the carrier bearing side adjusters (the rings with all the holes in them) and them back them off ½-1 turns or so. This will allow you to pull the carrier out. Leave the adjusters in place in the housing don't let them fall out!. Replace the spider and side gears with the drop-in locker then replace the carrier in the housing. Tighten the adjusters back to where they were and the properly torque the bearing caps and you're done.

If it is a full-carrier type (Detroit or Detroit Soft-Locker) you will need to reset the gears to some degree. Pinion depth should be good but you will need to set the contact pattern with the side adjusters until you get good tooth contact and backlash. There is a reasonably good section in th FSM about doing this. You will need access to a press to change the bearings on the carrier and a dial indicator to check the backlash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're drop in's, and I have a book that tell's me a little bit, not as detailed as I would like. I'ts a detroit for the front and a Lock-Rite for the back. I had a detroit in the back before and it was one of the best up grades I've ever done to one of my rigs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still you should reset the gears..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have the tools that are needed to dig that deep and I squeeze my money really tight. If it blows I have a back up rear with a locker already installed. I want to do it as cheep as possible. this truck has been rolled 3 times, and looks like it. It,s all trail damage that I've inflicted and I have under $700 into her and thats including the lockers and the 22R-TE parts truck.

I'll be away for the next 4 days abusing my toys, I'll do any needed replys next monday on the clock. wish me luck.

The only reason that she's been rolled three times is because she likes her belly scratched.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good Luck, have fun.Im headed to Rubicon on saturday...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts