Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
The Camry
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well leaving a friends house he dumped his clutch in his v6 mustang and burned out into second. Being as my 01 camry is 5 speed i thought what the hell. (dumb move) So i dumped it, had it smoking into second then into third, where it cought traction. Well we were going for about a 30 minute drive and i noticed shifting into 3rd the car would rev very fast from 2k to 3k and not do anything, once it hit 3k it would go.....same as in 4th. Then in 5th i can tap the gas pedal and have the car rev high (and not do anything) ...so i got to where i was going and shut the car off..... and the problem stopped, didnt do it on the way home. So this morning i tried it again as an experiment and it did the same thing. Whats going on? I know its bad for my clutch as well as my tranny..... what did i do? Something bad? The reving dosent happen if i dont do dumb things...it runs fine n an everyday basis. Thanks

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
yep sounds like you may have burnt the clutch up playing around. If it was worn pretty good before you did this you may have jsut made it worse.

·
Art In Motion
95 2Door Camry
310 Posts
yea my clutch gave me ALOT of rev sometimes and then it worked just fine 20 minutes later. It wasent a bad clutch it just slipped whenever I drove it a little hard. U could keep your cluth u have now just give give it any hell but pretty soon your going to need to replace it and resurface your flywheel. Like everyone else said u probally have worn down your clutch to give it a smooth surface so it doesent grip as well.

·
Registered
The Camry
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it shifts fine now and on a normal day. Will i be able to get away with keeping the clutch i have? Or will i need a replacement soon.This is the first time ive dont this since ive owned the car. It has 52k miles on it. Whats going to happen?

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
I predict it will gradually get worse and worse. It definitely will not heal itself.

It could be a possible safety concern, e.g., if you were in a situation where you needed immediate acceleration and could not get it.

I'd fix it now if it were me.

Like my Daddy always said, "If you wanna play, you gotta pay!"

Sorry.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
note to self: go research syncromesh for tranny fluids and see if using that helps, i've know a few friends that were bummed about gears grinding and/or tranny slipping. Using that above elevated their concerns as it went back to like-before. So research syncromesh and see if its something you might want to consider.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
jhbhatia said:
note to self: go research syncromesh for tranny fluids and see if using that helps, i've know a few friends that were bummed about gears grinding and/or tranny slipping. Using that above elevated their concerns as it went back to like-before. So research syncromesh and see if its something you might want to consider.
waste of time and money in his case...
a better tranny gear oil will help with shifting problems, not clutch engagement.

you toasted the clutch it sounds like... stupid move on a stock clutch dude. now you should look into a stage 2 clutch if you plan on doing some burnouts like that again.

for those of you with manual trannys who want to burn your tires, DONT GO INTO 2nd gear and still burn!! and if you go into 3rd and your car isnt moving yet, you will toast the clutch for sure.

i give this one a :nutkick: :yikes: :cursin: :nono: :headbang: :bash:
and this is what you should do... :argh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.