Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's a dumb simple question...

When I turn my camry on... and it's sitting in park idling... are the radiator fans meant to spin? Or are they powered by forward momentum or something?

I thought they were meant to spin from start up (I noticed my engine getting hotter and had a look under the hood) and the fans were just sitting there.

Dumb question I know but to tell you the truth it's one of those things I just never considered/thought about!

Please no-one laugh. :disappoin

·
Sebastian Loebs evil twin
168 Posts
Um the fans not running until the engine is warm is normal. by warm I mean like 160 to 190 <little degree symbol>F range

on a temp gague operating temp is usually about the halfway point.

hope this helps:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, it's been getting very hot and making a ticking noise today after a storm yesterday so I had a look under the hood and for some reason I just stared at the radiator fans thinking "hey, are they meant to be spinning?"

My mind just drew a blank. *embarrasment.*

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
UNless it is an older model V6 that the fans are run hydraulically They will most likely not run until the coolant temperature reaches a certain preset level. Then the electric fans wikll turn on until the temp goes back down to a preset level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts