Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry all - weird question. SInce I bought this 2007 Camry 2.4L used, I'm still learning about it. I read somewhere about an o-ring under the oil filler cap. Is there supposed to be one there? There isn't one - wondering if I should go get one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
7,749 Posts
There is an o-ring but I believe it is built into the oil cap. Apparently I had over-tightened mine and it got damage causing me a slight leak. I bought a TRD version instead that has more of a true o-ring. Also, best to add a picture.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

All of that is hard plastic. Is that what it should be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,749 Posts

All of that is hard plastic. Is that what it should be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looks fine, whether or not the o-ring is rubber or hard plastic? It's a over ten year old car and I never checked when we first got it whether or not the o-ring is made out of. If you don't see no leak, which I do not see any oil residue outside the valve cover of your picture, then it is working as intended. You should be good to go. IF you are suspecting oil is disappearing, the 2AZ-FE is a known oil burner and the real only fix for it is essentially a engine rebuild by replacing the pistons & rings with updated parts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I wasn't worried so much about oil consumption as much as I saw there was one when looking at this diagram. (I just replaced the plugs, PCV valve, and Valve gasket cover.) Looks like part 12108A. I didn't recall the gasket when I changed the oil and wondered if it was necessary.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
View attachment 295982

I wasn't worried so much about oil consumption as much as I saw there was one when looking at this diagram. (I just replaced the plugs, PCV valve, and Valve gasket cover.) Looks like part 12108A. I didn't recall the gasket when I changed the oil and wondered if it was necessary.
You should be fine. If you want to change it you can but since the oil cap is screwed in properly it and the o-ring you currently have will do its job. Mine I somehow over-tightened and it either damaged the o-ring or the plastic itself causing a relatively light oil leak. If you don't see no oil then you are good.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks. When you say "change it", I don't see one anywhere. I was thinking more of "add" it. Am I missing it?

·
Registered
265 Posts
To me, the part that is in the diagram as 12108A appears to be a square ring seal (think cutting off the end of a piece of hose - circular, but flat on all sides rather than fully circular like an O-ring is). I believe it is the raised ridge you see between the outside edge of the oil cap and the threads in the middle. Hit that with your fingernail and see if there's give, even slight give.

A square ring would fit in that groove and give the slight, non-rounded edge like is seen in the picture.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I know it is a dumb topic but I was just curious. That piece feels like it is plastic but it's probably just hardened over time I guess. I'll check it out further when I can get out there. No biggie.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,415 Posts
Not a dumb question at all. The o ring is squashed down into the groove on the cap. You can get a new one, you just need to make sure you pull the old one out completely.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tighten finger tight with new O ring, not much pressure at cap so it should be removable by hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts