Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some of the posts on here about the OE Dunlop Grandtreks that Toyota puts on some of their trucks. Mine has them, and they're probably the worst tires I've had the misfortune to drive on ( NO roadfeel, bad wet weather traction, wobble, etc. ). I've also seen the same feedback on TireRack about the Grandtrek AT20's.
Took the truck back to the dealer to ask for replacement, and round one ... got the finger. Was told they "function", and I should have specified good tires before I took delivery.
Mine only have 3,000 mi on them, and already looking worn in spots. I'm going to pursue having Toyo replacing them.... was wondering if anyone's had any luck in getting Toyo to step up to the plate and put something on there that is a little better. I drove another new Taco with the Duelers, and it was a marked improvement. Service mgr tried the alpha male routine.... was nausiating. Any thoughts from anyone who's had the same misfortune? I don't mind participating [some] financially in a swap, just not all of it. Any feedback would be most appreciated.
:bullshit2

·
Registered
293 Posts
i highly doubt that you will get toyota to replace them for you. they're OE tires i dont expect much from them unless they're tires going on a porsche othewise for normal vehicles i dont expect spectacular performance

·
Registered
118 Posts
I replaced them at 400 miles with the AWESOME Bridgestone "Revos". The Revos virtually transformed the Tacoma from a slippery, skittish Colt, into a road-hugging, stable and INFINITELY safer vehicle!

The $500 bucks was worth every penny and much less expensive than the cost of repairing the truck if it slid into something or someone!

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
I've still got the 4 that came off my truck (1,300 miles on them) in a climate controlled storage shed just in case the time ever comes that I can find a good use for them. At this point, I'm thinking 4 tire swings, perhaps 4 ******* flower planters or even throw them in the local lake as bottom structure to attract catfish.

I called every tire place within a reasonable distance and NO ONE wanted them. I even called the used tire businesses around the area and they didn't want them either... said they have too many 16" tires to start with.

Has anyone else found (or thought of) a good use for these things? Be creative... :lol:

edit: If it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd be tempted to wrap them up and SHIP them back to Toyota.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
nomad said:
I've still got the 4 that came off my truck (1,300 miles on them) in a climate controlled storage shed just in case the time ever comes that I can find a good use for them. At this point, I'm thinking 4 tire swings, perhaps 4 ******* flower planters or even throw them in the local lake as bottom structure to attract catfish.

I called every tire place within a reasonable distance and NO ONE wanted them. I even called the used tire businesses around the area and they didn't want them either... said they have too many 16" tires to start with.

Has anyone else found (or thought of) a good use for these things? Be creative... :lol:
put em through your yard chipper a couple of times, spray paint 'em brown and enjoy a lifetime supply of mulch for your house.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got the Dunlops on my truck and have no complaints. There's only about 1200 miles on them but they performed extremely well in the snow, seem to do fine in the rain, and they have a whole lot more tread on them than the Bridgestone Duellers that came on our Highlander. Those things only had about 8/32 of tread brand new and they hydroplane like a, well, hydroplane. Since we drive a lot of gravel roads, which shorten tread life by quite a bit, the thicker the tread is the better. But thicker tread generally deforms more and reduces road feel and handling. Maybe I'll change my mind as the miles roll on but this truck handles so much better than my last one that it seems like a sports car.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
nomad said:

edit: If it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd be tempted to wrap them up and SHIP them back to Toyota.
x2

Planning a swingset for the kids come summer time. Wife wants to burying them half way down to line our driveway with them... :rolleyes: Something about painting them yellow like the ******** that use tractor tires. :lol: Flower pot's a good idea tho! Didn't think about that one.:clap:

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
Boyn4runr said:
I've seen some of the posts on here about the OE Dunlop Grandtreks that Toyota puts on some of their trucks. Mine has them, and they're probably the worst tires I've had the misfortune to drive on ( NO roadfeel, bad wet weather traction, wobble, etc. ). I've also seen the same feedback on TireRack about the Grandtrek AT20's.
Took the truck back to the dealer to ask for replacement, and round one ... got the finger. Was told they "function", and I should have specified good tires before I took delivery.
Mine only have 3,000 mi on them, and already looking worn in spots. I'm going to pursue having Toyo replacing them.... was wondering if anyone's had any luck in getting Toyo to step up to the plate and put something on there that is a little better. I drove another new Taco with the Duelers, and it was a marked improvement. Service mgr tried the alpha male routine.... was nausiating. Any thoughts from anyone who's had the same misfortune? I don't mind participating [some] financially in a swap, just not all of it. Any feedback would be most appreciated.
:bullshit2

Tires, like batteries, are warranted by the manufacturer (of the tire/battery), not the vehicle manufacturer. Nothing new, nor unique, it's been like that as long as I can remember (at least to 1970).

As for replacement, barring anything that demonstrates that there is a physical defect, or a design defect that causes the tire to not perform to the rating and basic Fed standards, you'll not likely get any help. Although, if you paid dearly for the vehicle, you may find a dealer that would make you a deal on a swap out, particularly if he had a used vehicle that is a peach except for worn tires that could benefit from your used ones. I've seen it happen when someone was extremely diplomatic, and the dealer really wanted to keep "the live one" on his line for future business. But Toyota won't give you any relief.

However, if you have tires that have 3k miles on them and are "already looking worn in spots", that would seem to indicate an alignment/suspension problem -THAT may be warranty related, or, it could be your specific driving conditions -which would not be warranted.

I did get help with some Bridgestones that I had my '94 Suzuki Sidekick. There were cracks in the sidewall, all the way around the tires near the rim. I had about 8 thousand miles on them.
Firestone/Bridgestone replaced all 5 (only the tires on the ground displayed the cracks) and all I paid was for balancing. (Got the lifetime balance so that it was worth my while.) I thought that was pretty good.

But for a "performance" related complaint, I don't see much opportunity for you.

FWIW, I'm satisfied with my Dunlops. They roll, they keep the rims off the pavement, I haven't noticed any handling or traction issues any worse than any other pickup I've had (in fact, much better than my previous pickups and SUVs).

·
Registered
947 Posts
msibille said:
Tires, like batteries, are warranted by the manufacturer (of the tire/battery), not the vehicle manufacturer. Nothing new, nor unique, it's been like that as long as I can remember (at least to 1970).

As for replacement, barring anything that demonstrates that there is a physical defect, or a design defect that causes the tire to not perform to the rating and basic Fed standards, you'll not likely get any help. Although, if you paid dearly for the vehicle, you may find a dealer that would make you a deal on a swap out, particularly if he had a used vehicle that is a peach except for worn tires that could benefit from your used ones. I've seen it happen when someone was extremely diplomatic, and the dealer really wanted to keep "the live one" on his line for future business. But Toyota won't give you any relief.

However, if you have tires that have 3k miles on them and are "already looking worn in spots", that would seem to indicate an alignment/suspension problem -THAT may be warranty related, or, it could be your specific driving conditions -which would not be warranted.

I did get help with some Bridgestones that I had my '94 Suzuki Sidekick. There were cracks in the sidewall, all the way around the tires near the rim. I had about 8 thousand miles on them.
Firestone/Bridgestone replaced all 5 (only the tires on the ground displayed the cracks) and all I paid was for balancing. (Got the lifetime balance so that it was worth my while.) I thought that was pretty good.

But for a "performance" related complaint, I don't see much opportunity for you.

FWIW, I'm satisfied with my Dunlops. They roll, they keep the rims off the pavement, I haven't noticed any handling or traction issues any worse than any other pickup I've had (in fact, much better than my previous pickups and SUVs).
..eerr...Just had my 710 Amp battery replaced under warrantly....myth dispelled.

·
Registered
342 Posts
GreenMtnMan said:
I've got the Dunlops on my truck and have no complaints. There's only about 1200 miles on them but they performed extremely well in the snow, seem to do fine in the rain, and they have a whole lot more tread on them than the Bridgestone Duellers that came on our Highlander. ....
I agree. Maybe it's an Oregon thing. I've tried damn hard to actually hate these Dunlops, considering how many people here don't like them, but they haven't disappointed me yet. My only compaint is that they are wearing just a little faster than I'd like.

I've driven them in snow, sand (not deep sand), rain and up logging roads in the Olympic National forest and in NW Washington state, and they've performed well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
GreenMtn and PDXJoe-

Yes, the Dunlops ARE tires and the truck DOES work with them on it but, if you drove the Tacoma with a set of Revos on it, you wouldn't BELIEVE how much BETTER it rides and handles. It is really amazing.

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
netranger6 said:
..eerr...Just had my 710 Amp battery replaced under warrantly....myth dispelled.
Interesting.
My guess is that, if your dealer replaced it under warranty, he just "handled" the claim for you, but that Toyota doesn't handle it.

I'm currious, was the battery less than a year old?
If it was in the prorata portion of the warranty, I'd be pretty surprised that the dealer handled it -but impressed. Most won't touch tire or battery warranty claims unless the problem is due to a vehicle warranty covered item. (Certainly not on tires w/ 3K miles on them.)

Was the battery the only problem, or was there a warranty repair on the charging circuit as well?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Activator said:
GreenMtn and PDXJoe-

Yes, the Dunlops ARE tires and the truck DOES work with them on it but, if you drove the Tacoma with a set of Revos on it, you wouldn't BELIEVE how much BETTER it rides and handles. It is really amazing.
I don't go off-road except for long stints on gravel logging roads. My #1 concerns are traction and treadwear and road noise is a distant third. Ride doesn't matter to me. The Dunlops are too new to tell on wear but the traction seems fine (much better than the Firestones that came on my POS Ford). How is the treadwear on those Revos? You know, I could probably keep Dunlops on this truck dirt cheap for the life of the truck. All you guys getting rid of yours with barely any wear on them are just giving them away, right? :D

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
Activator said:
GreenMtn and PDXJoe-

+1

You may think the Dunlops are adequate but you are settling for less. It's beautiful truck with below average quality tires. :disappoin

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
GreenMtnMan +1.

I don't know where the 8/32 comes from, but I glanced this a.m. and I have over 8/32 on my front tires with 15k mi on them (and 3 rotations).

No doubt, they wouldn't be my first choice for mud, but for me, they're a decent compromise for highway, all-season, and the occassional excursion off paved roads.

I'm guessing that GrnMountain and I would be happy to receive any of the Dunflops that get replaced with only 500 miles on them. All we need is a NewEnglander to allow us to more evenly split the territory.... :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
msibille said:
GreenMtnMan +1.

I don't know where the 8/32 comes from, but I glanced this a.m. and I have over 8/32 on my front tires with 15k mi on them (and 3 rotations).

No doubt, they wouldn't be my first choice for mud, but for me, they're a decent compromise for highway, all-season, and the occassional excursion off paved roads.

I'm guessing that GrnMountain and I would be happy to receive any of the Dunflops that get replaced with only 500 miles on them. All we need is a NewEnglander to allow us to more evenly split the territory.... :)
I can't remember if my stock ones were Dunlop or not, but I put about 8k on them and realized they would last long. I got the truck in Feb 2006 and almost lost it 2 weeks later because the tread was too thin. Snow packed in and slid on the road. There was only a dusting of snow too, that's how bad those tires were! They were fine on pavement or hard packed dirt, but anything that could move or fill up the tread..... :disappoin Forget about it. Almost driving a 2 week old $30k truck off the side of a hill due to the stock tires doesn't make a good impression to me.

It still blows my mind the piss-poor tires they throw on trucks sold in the NE in the MIDDLE OF WINTER. :disappoin

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
PiercedTiger said:
It still blows my mind the piss-poor tires they throw on trucks sold in the NE in the MIDDLE OF WINTER. :disappoin
I ran the Dunlops for just about 10k. The tire shop said they would probably make it another 10k if I was lucky.

I had them from the time I bought the truck in May until right before Thanksgiving. They sucked in the mud. They sucked in the sand. They sucked in the rain. And it only took one snowfall for me to have them changed out. They basically negated the fact that I had bought a 4x4.

The only time I felt comfortable was on dry pavement. And I can honestly say that ride is 2x better with the Toyo's I have now.

It may seem like a waste to throw away good tires... of course, they would have to be "good tires" to begin with.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
boone said:
I ran the Dunlops for just about 10k. The tire shop said they would probably make it another 10k if I was lucky.

I had them from the time I bought the truck in May until right before Thanksgiving. They sucked in the mud. They sucked in the sand. They sucked in the rain. And it only took one snowfall for me to have them changed out. They basically negated the fact that I had bought a 4x4.

The only time I felt comfortable was on dry pavement. And I can honestly say that ride is 2x better with the Toyo's I have now.

It may seem like a waste to throw away good tires... of course, they would have to be "good tires" to begin with.
That was me. Made it through one winter (barely) and got new tires. I had 180lbs of sand in the back, and I still used 4wd whenever the roads where white! I have much better tires now but I still drive like grandma on the snow! :lol: The vision of my truck fish tailing back and forth across the road going up the hill, coming dangerously close to the edge of a 100-150ft bank, and finally sliding into someone's driveway is a little too fresh in my mind. :ugh3:

·
Registered
146 Posts
boone said:
+1

You may think the Dunlops are adequate but you are settling for less. It's beautiful truck with below average quality tires. :disappoin
I know where you're coming from but my truck isn't beautiful. It's always covered with mud. I could wash it in my driveway and the next drive into town will just cover it with mud again. So I've sort of given up on the beauty thing. I am slightly envious of you guys with gorgeous trucks that can keep them clean.

As far as tires go, when you 're buying new tires every 12 months it gets a little old shelling out $6-700 for a set of top-of-the-line tires. And I do know tires - I ran a tire store for years. I've seen my share of POS tires and really couldn't comment on the construction quality of any tire without seeing a cross-section in person. I've seen many high priced tires fail in surprising ways and have strong opinions about certain manufacturers. When these Dunlops wear out maybe I'll cut one open to see. But even low-end tires seem to get the job done. Except Firestones. I do wish the stock tires were a size larger though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts