Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts, seems these are Toyota exclusive to the Rav4 and Venzas. I am coming from Michelin Primacy tires and they seem to not ride as well.

Also what is rated durability/life wear on them? I googled and could not find anything only basic stats, but nothing showing wear like a 60K expected lifespan on anything like that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's an OEM-level tire on a value-priced vehicle. Only higher-end vehicles come with higher-end tires. Usually the tires straight from Toyota could be described as adequate.

That said, the new Venza comes with two tires, the Bridgestone Ecopia and the Dunlop Grandtrek PT20. There have been a lot of complaints about the Bridgestone Ecopias, but hardly any about the Grandtrek. Is that because Toyota mostly used the Ecopias? I don't know, but I have no real complaints (so far) with the Grandtreks on mine. They handle ok (probably limited by the vehicle, not the tire), they do ok in the rain - even heavy rain - and were ok in what little snow and ice I drove in last winter. I'd say they're a bit noisy, but not the worst I've had. They would probably NOT be on my list if I were replacing tires, but that's mostly because I'd probably find something as good or better at that price point, or I'd spring a few bucks for something nicer since I'd be living with them for years.

It's good to read the reviews on Tire Rack (kudos to Joe above), but be aware that people writing have often had a problem, sometimes nothing to do with the tire, just luck. The better reviews are for the tires noted as "Tire Rack Tested". Also look at https://www.discounttiredirect.com/. I've bought from both Tire Rack and Discount Tire and have had good experiences with both.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not glowing reviews anywhere. Been around for several years (owned by Sumitomo). Technology has improved over the years but this tire still the same. Couldn't find them on DiscountTire.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an OEM-level tire on a value-priced vehicle. Only higher-end vehicles come with higher-end tires. Usually the tires straight from Toyota could be described as adequate.

That said, the new Venza comes with two tires, the Bridgestone Ecopia and the Dunlop Grandtrek PT20. There have been a lot of complaints about the Bridgestone Ecopias, but hardly any about the Grandtrek. Is that because Toyota mostly used the Ecopias? I don't know, but I have no real complaints (so far) with the Grandtreks on mine. They handle ok (probably limited by the vehicle, not the tire), they do ok in the rain - even heavy rain - and were ok in what little snow and ice I drove in last winter. I'd say they're a bit noisy, but not the worst I've had. They would probably NOT be on my list if I were replacing tires, but that's mostly because I'd probably find something as good or better at that price point, or I'd spring a few bucks for something nicer since I'd be living with them for years.

It's good to read the reviews on Tire Rack (kudos to Joe above), but be aware that people writing have often had a problem, sometimes nothing to do with the tire, just luck. The better reviews are for the tires noted as "Tire Rack Tested". Also look at https://www.discounttiredirect.com/. I've bought from both Tire Rack and Discount Tire and have had good experiences with both.
That will likely be my plan as well, i considered just changing over to higher one ones up front but tire shops dont offer too much for trade in. We will see how tread life goes, i assume "value OEM" will be at least 30k miles.

Thank you for the longer feedback/review.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not glowing reviews anywhere. Been around for several years (owned by Sumitomo). Technology has improved over the years but this tire still the same. Couldn't find them on DiscountTire.
Yep, i could not find much research or reviews on them.

·
Registered
06 Taco, 2010, 2021 Venza
90 Posts
My Tacoma came with Grandtreks. I couldnt get them off the truck fast enough. No traction in any condition and, off the rim, they were the lightest flimsiest tire I had ever had my hands on.
The Ecopias on our Venza are nothing to write home about but are light years better that the Dunlops. Very hard rubber compound it feels like. Ride improves if you keep them a lb. or 2 underinflated

·
Registered
2021 Venza LE Titanium Glow
57 Posts
Yokohama YK-CTX 18" tires from Discount Tire are worthy tires for consideration and are affordable.
These tires have provided me a quieter ride with less road noise versus the OEM Dunlop Grandtreks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have had the Grandtrek PT20 in 18” for one year and 10K miles on my Venza now. My climate is quite temperate - between 45F and 90F for the entire year. We have rain but never any snow. After being initially disappointed with the mushiness of the tires in my first month of ownership, I pumped them up to 37psi and …. no complaints after a whole year. Smooth, fairly quiet, and have always had enough traction for my admittedly not very demanding needs.

I am an experienced tire buyer with lots of experience with road force match mounting using Hunter GSP9700s. I have had to return tires of all brands, including the top two brands Michelin and Continental, due to out of roundness.

Perhaps I got lucky w these set of Dunlops, but I am v satisfied with these Grandtrek PT20s and see no reason to fix what ain’t broke.

PS - I went through 4 sets of Bridgestone Ecopia EP422s on a different car - I agree that those Ecopias are not very satisfying.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Motortrend called out the Venza for having excessive tire noise:

Motor Trend seems to have based their opinion on the models with 19” wheels/tires, which use Bridgestone Ecopias ….. NOT the Dunlop Grandtreks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ah, maybe that's it. The 19" are Ecopia and the 18" come with Grandtreks?

We took our Venza with Grandtreks to Big Bear Lake after Xmas at a time chain law was in effect. We couldn't find chains on the shelves anywhere so figured what the hell. We are on vacation if we got stuck, we had time to kill.

I've lived 20 years in Colorado and one year in Minnesota and done my fair share of winter driving, but of course a lot has to do with the vehicle. Believe it or not. This is my first AWD vehicle.
This was the most sure footed experience in snow and slush I ever had. At one point we were in a parking lot with a steep (like 10%) driveway with fresh snow on it. My wife criticized me for going down it. Was fine going down. Coming back up would be the test. A full size 3/4 ton pickup there with RWD only could not get up the hill. I went up the hill with steady throttle at 10 mph. The car didn't slip once. The traction control did not kick in once. The only one time, in a panic stop on fresh snow did the anti-lock brakes go on. And ya, it was loud and hurky-jerky but we stopped with room to spare. I was in the snow with these tires for one day, so take it in context but it was one day of snowy mountain; and the car/wheel combo performed way better than I expected.

Also I know a lot about tires and rubber compounds. While I never worked for a tire company, I used to work for a rubber supplier and I know for fact that batches of the same tire name make and model can vary more than anyone admits from batch to batch because the raw materials for rubber can vary quite a bit. In real world I had one tire last 26,000 miles while another lasted 80,000 miles. Same make and model tire on the same vehicle in same driving conditions. Only difference was the batches were 4 years apart. When I pressed the tire company they openly admitted they get bad batches from time to time. Which is why you SHOULD get tires with tread wear warranties. I got a new set for 75% discount when that set wore out at 26,000 miles. Tire guy said "it happens" and they were happy and polite when giving me 4 new tires for the price of 1.
Bottom line, you can't judge a tire overall from your experience with one set.

Oh I almost forgot why I came on here. Yesterday a 2" threaded pipe fell off a truck and my wife hit it edge on at 60-65 mph and it slashed her tire. I wasn't there but she said the car instantly reported the pressure loss, and the car was easy to control as she drove half a mile with zero pressure to pull over. It was the passenger rear. Then she learned the spare has no pressure sensor in it which you probably knew. New tires of the Dunlop today are $198 on Tire Rack and $248 mounted, balanced and installed at the CA Toyota dealer (which I view as consistent pricing) so we will go to the dealer Monday.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ah, maybe that's it. The 19" are Ecopia and the 18" come with Grandtreks?
That’s right. The 19” tire/wheel Brisgestone Ecopias are decidedly subpar. In my experience, the 18” Dunlop Grandtrek PT20s are perfectly fine - low noise and quite comfortable. I cannot speak to snowy driving though - I have yet to take this Venza to ski-country.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That’s right. The 19” tire/wheel Brisgestone Ecopias are decidedly subpar. In my experience, the 18” Dunlop Grandtrek PT20s are perfectly fine - low noise and quite comfortable. I cannot speak to snowy driving though - I have yet to take this Venza to ski-country.
The Venza OEM 18" Dunlop Grandtrek tires are definitely not low noise (at least the ones that I had). Those tires were more noisy than the stock tires from my previous 2020 RAV4 XLE that I had before I traded it in for my Venza LE.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Venza OEM 18" Dunlop Grandtrek tires are definitely not low noise (at least the ones that I had). Those tires were more noisy than the stock tires from my previous 2020 RAV4 XLE that I had before I traded it in for my Venza LE.
What pressures were you running and how many miles did you drive on them before ditching them for Yokohamas?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I ran them at 33 - 36 PSI and got rid of them at 3500 miles.
Hmmmm I don’t know what to say as my experience with these Dunlop Grandtrek PT20 tires has been extremely satisfying and completely different from yours. I have been driving for over three decades and in that time I have driven many hundreds of cars as daily drivers …. for some years I had a “new company car” every week to drive as well.

The Grandtrek PT20s are certainly not performance tires, but as inoffensive, quiet, “touring” tires, they have certainly met if not exceeded my expectations over 10K miles. FWIW, mine were made in Japan in the 40th week of 2020.

·
Registered
2021 Venza LE Blue
60 Posts
Mine, my Grandtek pt20s initially came from dealer with 44PSI, despite I told the guy to correct the tire pressure, they didn't seem to bother. Ride was rough, now I adjusted to proper 33 PSI, and reset the TPMS. Had to drive about 100 miles yesterday on Highway, on rougher sections of highway (concrete rough sections) there is some booming sound, smoother sections its not too bad, but definitely not quiet. But then again, I haven't driven this car with any other tires, so take it with grain of salt. Other comparision I have is with my Tesla M3, which is wisper quiet on smooth asphalt, but booms crazy like empty drum on rougher patches of Concrete.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looking at the big picture, all tires need to be replaced at some point since no tire lasts forever. I decided to replace my tires early to take advantage of rebates and trade-in credits; otherwise, I would have kept the OEM tires longer. The tire noise on the Grandtreks at lower speeds were bugging me because my RAV4 OEM tires did not have this noise problem although the RAV4 had wind noise at higher speeds. My net cost was about $550 for the set of four new tires installed onto my vehicle and it has made a noticeable difference in the reduction of road noise when driving on local streets at regular speeds.

·
Registered
2021 Venza LE Blue
60 Posts
Looking at the big picture, all tires need to be replaced at some point since no tire lasts forever. I decided to replace my tires early to take advantage of rebates and trade-in credits; otherwise, I would have kept the OEM tires longer. The tire noise on the Grandtreks at lower speeds were bugging me because my RAV4 OEM tires did not have this noise problem although the RAV4 had wind noise at higher speeds. My net cost was about $500 for the set of four new tires installed onto my vehicle and it has made a noticeable difference in the reduction of road noise when driving on local streets at regular speeds.
Lucky for you. Here is Seattle area, seems no one wants to give any credit for the brand new tires off the car. They are willing to store it for me. My walmart Order for Yokohama AVID Ascent GT is screwed up and received only 3 tires, Fedex seems damaged the 4th one. They are shipping replacement, seems another couple of weeks. But I did get excellent deal from Walmart, for some reason this product was listed with two skus and one sku is less by $40 for each tire. So, $132 for each tire, seems very good deal. That's why ordered.

Costco has $150 off Michelin Cross Climate 2 for set, but those are $200 each. Not sure if those are quieter than Yokohama Avid Ascent GT or not. Tire Rack rating are not consistent between different tests.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts