Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit... I heard all of the complaining about the Dunlops and while I was driving in good weather, I though you were all crazy. Good traction... handles well.. etc. Now it's winter in New Hampshire... any ice or snow, there is no traction, spinning, sliding.. and that is with 100lbs of rock salt over the back wheels. I'm thinking Revos... thoughts?

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,560 Posts
soon people here will tell you that you dont know how to drive in snow. Its not the tires fault its yours :lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well... I've lived in New England my entire life (and no..I'm far from 18)... driven everything from sports cars to SUVs in the snow... and there is a difference... The Dunlops are fine, if not great on dry or wet... snow or ice is just bad though.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,560 Posts
egod8 said:
well... I've lived in New England my entire life (and no..I'm far from 18)... driven everything from sports cars to SUVs in the snow... and there is a difference... The Dunlops are fine, if not great on dry or wet... snow or ice is just bad though.
like someone said the revos are great and also the BFG At KO's are great too. When my rugged trails wear out its one of thoes 2 tires.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you in 4WD? The truck is incredible with 4WD... doesn't matter what tires.. I only go into 4Wd if I know I'm screwed and I can't get someplace that 2WD can't. I guess I shouldn't complain too much.. I do get to where I'm going, it just seems like there is alot of spin/sliding considering I have weight in the back.

·
Registered
335 Posts
egod8 said:
I have to admit... I heard all of the complaining about the Dunlops and while I was driving in good weather, I though you were all crazy. Good traction... handles well.. etc. Now it's winter in New Hampshire... any ice or snow, there is no traction, spinning, sliding.. and that is with 100lbs of rock salt over the back wheels. I'm thinking Revos... thoughts?
I live in KC, MO and we had over 12" of snow that started off with a little ice over a week ago. I have an 05 DC 4x4 SB SR5 V6 with the "shitty" Dunlop AT20's 245/75/R16. I had ZERO problems and I I live slightly out of town so I took it on some roads with unplowed fresh snow. It has LSD and the tires worked great in the snow. I was surprised because of all the negative reviews. I probably only needed 4x4 in the worst of the storm.

The truck has 3500 miles, and almost all new tires do OK. I can see why people bitch about them though. They do have a wimpy car tread pattern to them. I will probably replace with Revos before next winter and burn the dunlops away this comming summer.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
so you're complaining about a truck in 2wd with a composite bed that has traction issues on ice and snow? you said it yourself, you don't really have any problems in 4wd... :)

-Mike

G

·
Live in NH as well

Had Dunlops too but took them right off once I read up on them and heard the poor reviews. NH is NO PLACE for a crappy winter performance tire.

Now have Revo's = NO PROBLEMS! :thumbup:

I paid $532 M&B for a set of 4 245/75-16 Revo's. Shoot me a PM and let me know where you are in NH and maybe I can hook you up with a good price. The Revo is the best option, IMO, for this area.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dunlaps do suck.

If you have 4wd you can use it to help accelerate but at some point you may want to trun or stop. Even if you can drive in the snow there are many people out the who can't and the Dunlaps can get you or someone else hurt.

I got a set of Blizzaks for winter only and they make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2005 tacoma trd
866 Posts
i got toyo open country at's last week live up here in snow belt of buffalo i'm liken them alot

·
Registered
263 Posts
I live in NH too and I have Blizzaks. My driveway is a steep hill with a sharp 90 degree turn in the middle--all ice. No problem with the Blizzaks--I don't even have to put the truck in 4WD. I have 210 lbs. of sand in the bed. That helps.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
DaleClough said:
Cooper Discoverer LT's, up to 265/70/17
Anything cooper is crap.
I had a set of them on my truck and I just replaced them with another set of BFG AT.
those coopers couldnt do anything. My BFG go better in 2wd then they would in 4wd. I never felt comfortable last winter driving with them. They where even horriable in rain as they felt like they wanted to hydro alot. Now that I have BFG's on my truck again i feel much better and it trucks through in 2wd like a champ. I hardly even need 4wd with my BFG and we got some ASS weather here in Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've posted quite a few times about the difference between the Dunslops and the Revos.

On TireRack.com's owner survey rankings, the Dunslops (specifically the OEM tires that come on the Taco) are ranked something like #62 out of #63, with very LOW marks in all categories. The Revos are ranked #1 with very HIGH marks all around. These rankings are from OWNERS who actually use these tires every day, so they are very "real world".

I decided that $500 for the Revos was money well spent, since my deductible is more than that, and even a small slip into a guardrail or curb would cost more to fix than $500.

The BEST part is that the Revos have TRANSFORMED the Tacoma's ride and handling! The Revos are QUIETER - even though they have a more aggressive tread - and the Tacoma now feels MUCH more secure, smoother, and feels like it's on RAILS when cornering. None of the sloppiness that I felt with the Dunslops (I drove on them for @ 2,000 miles).

Starting on hills is also improved, with no tire spinning due to lack of traction, especially in the wet. In the 14" of snow we had two weeks ago, I didn't feel the need for 4WD on plowed roads (no sand in the bed), and driving on an unplowed road in 4WD was effortless.

Note that I'm no newbie. I'm 45 and have driven everything from Porsches to Volvos to Jeeps in ALL kinds of weather. This is my first "truck", and I am VERY happy with it, especially since switching to the Revos!

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
In snow country, there is a price we pay with the all season tires... Jack of all trades master of none...
You got 3 options.
1) If you dont drive much in snow, can keep them on, but you're gonna have to take it easy, 4wd or not.

2) If you want one set of tires year round that are better, look into REvo's, may loose small amount of summer pavement handling, but better in rain, snow and off-road.

3) Or get a set of Blizzaks on steelies for winter. They will blow away any all-season or Revos when it comes winter handling. Run the all-seasons for the rest of the year.

Living in a hilly, lake-effect snow area, and being a snowboarder and sledder, I'm always driving in snow for first tracks. I've always run snow tires. My Blizzaks on 16' steelies were $550. Just got to remember you can stop and accelerate much quicker than others... even in 2wd!

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
I've been very happy with my Toyo Open Country A/T's on the snow and ice we've had so far. They were about $70 bucks cheaper than the Revo's. After comparing them in person at the shop, I liked the quality and design of the tread on the Toyos better. Ditch those Dunlops, I would spin out in the rain and in any gravel substance that may have been on the road.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
boone88rr said:
I would spin out in the rain and in any gravel substance that may have been on the road.
wow, are you joking? seriously spin out? rear end trades places with the front? :eek: or you mean spin your tires? just trying to clarify.

-Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.