Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and could not find a specific answer.

My wife's new TRD Sport has the engine immobilizer system. We received three master keys (no valet key) with the truck -- all "chipped".

1. Can a locksmith duplicate the Toyota immobilizer system keys or must it be done by the dealer?

2. If duplicated by the dealer what is the approximate cost.

3. Can a locksmith make a "regular unchipped" key that will open the doors or must "chipped key" be used for unlocking the doors?

Thanks.

·
Medical Research equip
09 Tacoma AC 4x4
156 Posts
Well not sure what if any difference from my 09 to you 11 but you can always have a unchipped key made. Its the first thing I did on my way home the day I got my Tacoma. And as for the chipped keys last time I looked they were only available from the dealer and there is a process to progam it into the computer price vary from one stealership to the next, and dont know how many keys it can have in memory

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
136 Posts
chipped key

ya the chipped keys at the local dealers here run about $200 ea. aftermarket one's can be done by a locksmith but are still around $150.00

my question is, what if you have an unchipped key made. will it still start the vehicle, open doors, etc. ?

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Non Transponder keys do not start the car, they will open them. A blank Transponder key is $47.19 MSRP and I offer TN members 30% off MSRP which makes them $33.03 each and I only charge actual shipping costs plus $1.00 - $2.00 for materials, etc.

yes I can ship to Canada but Canadian customers are responsible for all duties and taxes.

As to how many can be programed: A maximum of 5 master key codes and 3 sub-key codes can be registered.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Around here, the local Ace Hardware now claims they can make chipped keys. Rumored to be $50 - 80, haven't checked it out yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts