Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Splicer, I'm ordering a set of 4 today for $200 off (signing up for the card doubles the discount). Couldn't pass up the deal because that means I'm only paying for 3 tires. So today's the day to order them if you want to get the discount.

·
My Other Truck
3,786 Posts
The deal is offered by America's Tire (and Discount Tire), $100 mail in rebate and another $100 by using (or applying for) their credit card. Glad to hear you are taking advantage of it!

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And from our conversation (or my follow up PMs), I think I'll have them put one of my AT2s on my spare. I'll at least have a newer tire on it with some decent tread (I know they work in snow :D ).

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Moose, so get those things on and head for he snow. I'm expecting a full comparison report of these tires vs. your Michelin...

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry but there isn't any snow. Drove up today and there's barely any on the road up there. We're in both a drought and an El Niño year. That means we get warm, wet storms. Last weekend, we got 9.5 inches of rain. Only saw a dusting here at the house all season. It's been in the 70s in the valley (77 yesterday). Just too warm for snow except at the highest of elevations.

BTW, I noticed the pattern last year. When we're warm and dry in winter, east coast gets blizzards. If winter returns here, their snow will stop.

·
My Other Truck
3,786 Posts
The sale is still on until tomorrow (Monday).
That info is not on the America's Tire website, but it does show up on the Discount tire site. Good catch, this may help someone else save on a new set of shoes! I'm probably still a couple years out.... hopefully can catch a deal like this when I am ready.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to laugh because I saw an Americas Tire commercial tonight regarding this deal even though the website and my rebate forms say it expired on the 14th. Either they extended it, or the commercial was run a day or two late.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

They haven't come in yet. I think I bought them too late on Saturday for them to get shipped to the store today. They said it might be Tuesday. With the workweek beginning for me tomorrow, now I'll have to find time to get them installed. It's between late tomorrow or Wednesday late afternoon. Wednesday makes more sense with my work schedule this week.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^ I'm-a-liking-it. Any problem balancing? Also, what offset are those wheels?

No idea on the offset. They were a spur of the moment thing when I picked up my Michelins last time (5 years ago). They're the V-Drive from Americas Tire (MB brand?). Let me know if you find out the stats somewhere. I've had no luck searching. Paid $90/wheel which was a steal IMO. Would have preferred mostly black, but it was a compromise with what the wife likes.

And no problems balancing whatsoever. They just used the normal cone (no lug-centric adapter). I was worried but even at 70 mph they were smooth. Only thing I have to get used to is the sound of the MT portion on the freeway. I was spoiled since the Michelin AT2 were the quietest AT tire out there. Ride is definitely different. Let me drive them for a bit to wear off the slick coating from the factory before giving my impression...and check the air pressure in the morning when they're cool. So far, feels like a softer ride on rough road (opposite of what I was expecting).

Edit: One other comment on the balancing. Part of why I bought the wheels last time was because I was sick of the balancing issues with the stock wheels. I've really had no balancing problems with the new wheels.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Moose, most of the aftermarket wheels I have seen have the offset cast or inscribed on the inside of the rim, often near one of the spokes. You might see something like 10, +12 or +10ET or even a negative number. ET is a German abbreviation for offset. The stock Toyota wheels are +30mm but I can find no numbers on mine. The aftermarket ones I had were +18 and thus gave about a 1/2 in. wider stance on each wheel (30mm - 18mm = 12mm or approx. 1/2 in.)

·
My Other Truck
3,786 Posts
Very nice aggressive look! Load range C? Curious about your tire pressure -- IIRC, my Michelins were somewhat overinflated when first installed, contrary to what was written on the work order.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They were at 36 psi this morning. I lowered to 35. I ran 35 with the BFG TA KO Load D that I had before the Michelins. Seemed to wear find at that pressure. And my daughter has some chalk drawings in the driveway. Free chalk test. :D Right rear didn't even hit the pavement on the outer tread.

As for offset, I just scanned all around a wheel. Nothing. When I get around to all my maintenance, I'll look on the backside of them. That won't be for a couple weeks though because we're getting new carpet in the bedrooms this weekend and will be moving furniture out and back into the rooms.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
For you, Daniel. :D

Very nice Jim!!!! I like it! Very aggressive!

As far as spec on rims, I think the only way to find them is like you did, online. I haven't ever noticed anything stamped or etched on my Moto Metal's that states specs. I wish I would have chosen a wheel with a bit less offset. I rub with my 265/70/17's because of the -12 mm offset.

·
My Other Truck
3,786 Posts
Only thing I have to get used to is the sound of the MT portion on the freeway. I was spoiled since the Michelin AT2 were the quietest AT tire out there. Ride is definitely different. Let me drive them for a bit to wear off the slick coating from the factory before giving my impression...and check the air pressure in the morning when they're cool. So far, feels like a softer ride on rough road (opposite of what I was expecting).
They sure do make the truck look the way a 4x4 is supposed to look! I'll be very interested to see your eventual update(s). I'm curious to see how their ride, handling (wet, dry, and snow), and overall feel and performance compare to the Michelins after you've had enough time to thoroughly wring 'em out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts