Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Found the stats here: http://www.liquidmetalwheel.com/wheel.cfm?id=459

If I'm reading it correctly, 0mm offset. (16 x 8.5, 6 x 139.7)
Ya, your reading it correctly. Looks like the center bore of the wheel is very close to the dia. of the Taco's hub..a very good thing...so you did not have to use hub centering rings, no?

Also, I really like the DTs and my only major hangup with pulling the trigger on them has been their weight since the high altitude so zaps my power. Did you notice any substantial drag, rolling resistance or any more effort coming off the line?

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No centering rings. They seem fine. Never noticed an issue.

I actually haven't noticed any difference except maybe a little more effort on the hills at highway speed, but I think that's because I'm at lower RPMs on the highway now (just below 2k at 65mph). After all these years, I'm having trouble remembering the speedo is accurate now.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
That's one of my concerns if I upgrade to 265/75s some day -- which I would like to do, but I figure it might lead to my first speeding ticket in a very long time. :gaah:
The few mph's you would gain shouldn't be enough for a citation, unless the officer's that patrol your streets are a whole lot more strict than those that patrol the streets around here. It seems like you have to be doing 5-7 mph over here to even get a look.

·
My Other Truck
3,787 Posts
That's the thing.... we have a rash of new, gung-ho CHPs trying to make a name for themselves. I usually run an indicated 60, frequently a bit more, on 2-lanes with a 55 limit. If I add an average 3 mph more, I'll likely get tagged.

I miss the days before CHP had radar. I often ran 65 or so and never got looked at. The key then was to drive smoothly & sensibly -- too fast wasn't much of a problem (within reason) unless you looked out of control.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The funny thing is that when my daughter took her actual driving test at DMV last month, her tester told her to drive at or slightly above the speed limit. There's even a box on the form where you get dinged if you're not driving right at the limit.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
That's the thing.... we have a rash of new, gung-ho CHPs trying to make a name for themselves. I usually run an indicated 60, frequently a bit more, on 2-lanes with a 55 limit. If I add an average 3 mph more, I'll likely get tagged.

I miss the days before CHP had radar. I often ran 65 or so and never got looked at. The key then was to drive smoothly & sensibly -- too fast wasn't much of a problem (within reason) unless you looked out of control.
You could fix the speedo error with a Hypertech calibrator. Which is what I have done. Although I was more worried about the error in the odometer over the speedometer. But the calibrator corrected both.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thought I'd update this thread since I can't find a dedicated Duratrac thread. It's been almost 2 years, and I've put on just over 33K miles. The sipes are still there (I didn't expect them to last more than 15K miles since they don't go all the way down). Still liking them except for the highway noise. Still doing well in the snow. I'll have to measure tread depth when I get home, but they'll easily go 60K miles. My only real complaint is they definitely don't grip as well on wet/dry/snow now. With the Michelin AT2, that didn't start until a lot later (as all tires grip less as the tread gets lower). I'll probably have to replace them next winter before the snow hits. Would I go with these again? I honestly don't know! The highway noise is my only hesitation.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
^^ Thanks for the update on the Duratracs. I was on the fence for a long time about them and finally got bumped off when the long term reviews started appearing. Many of those that were initially glowing became just an eh with time and mileage.

So I'm back on my quest for a better tire again. The current shoes are the Cooper ATW and I am less than impressed with them. The two biggest problems as I see them are despite carrying the coveted mountain snowflake symbol I find them mediocre in snow, and at the rate they are wearing, they will be functionally useless at 15,000 mi. on my truck.

·
My Other Truck
3,787 Posts
The current shoes are the Cooper ATW and I am less than impressed with them. The two biggest problems as I see them are despite carrying the coveted mountain snowflake symbol I find them mediocre in snow, and at the rate they are wearing, they will be functionally useless at 15,000 mi. on my truck.
Well, there's snow and then there's snow. I think most designated snow tires are designed to work well on dry snow and on relatively flat ground. Throw in mountain roads (or no roads) with off-camber turns, steep grades, and wet heavy snow, and many snow tires will perform more like the heavily siped highway treads that they resemble. Just my opinion....

As to your Coopers wearing out quickly, that has been my experience with the brand. Possibly a soft compound, I dunno.

FWIW, the Chevy in my avatar is wearing a new set of Cooper Discoverer S/Ts. Limited snow use so far but they have been great. Too noisy for my Tacoma though, but fine for my Chevy.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Updating this thread since we have another member asking about tires in a similar environment that my truck sees in the winter (and snow wheeling).

On my second set. First set bought Feb 2015 at 159K miles. Last August, I took advantage of sales an got my second set at 218K miles. So I replaced them after 59K miles of use. They had plenty of tread for a summer (could measure this weekend on remaining tread since one of them is now my spare), but I wanted deeper tread for the deep snow. I believe I was still at 6/32nds which was still snow legal here. And boy did we get hammered this last winter with 8 ft in February. Pic below of just one overnight snow.

Obviously, I was very happy with snow traction both on normal road snow and the 3-4 ft deep spring packed snow. I have no worries of getting stuck with these, but airing down is a must when snow wheeling.

Never happy with the noise on the highway, but I suspect they’re still quieter than a dedicated mud tire.

I’d buy these a third time if I needed tires again.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts