Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was up last night, got an idea! well, more of a headache with pictures :lol:

Anyway, The Camry and MR2 Turbo have the samy tranny, iirc (E-153), but different final drives, and the MR2 has a lsd. Now, since the Camry lsd from quaife is just shy of $1400 USD, I'm pretty interested in seeing whether a MR2 LSD will work with our rides. I know it will drop into the trans without issues, the spots where I'm not too sure are these:

• Will our axles bolt in, or will we need custom/modified MR2 axles?
  • How much do these go for these days?
  • With the change in final drive, will our speedos compensate, or would one need to get it recalibrated?
  • How good are these diffs? From an actual MR2 owner, input would be appreciated.
:)

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
IIRC there was an e-53 there in the mix too. all these slight variation in trannys drives me nuts. but when i was woking on my manual swap i remember reading that the 153 out of the gen4 camry could not use the lsd from the e-53 or the 153 in the mr2 because of axles. when tracking down parts needed to do a V6 mr2 swap, most recommended getting a e153 from an mr2 to avoid issues. but clarification from thoes who are versed in this would be great.

3,032 Posts
The issue with the axles as far as the e153 goes is fairly straight forward.
If you use an aftermarket LSD, you can use either Non-lsd or LSD turbo axles.
If you use a factory LSD, you can only use factory turbo LSD axles.
I'm pretty sure there's a bellhousing issue as far as swapping a MR2 e153 versus a Solara e153 into a Camry.
Also 91-92 e153 transmissions on the MR2 did not come with an LSD; the +93 e153's from an MR2 do.

·
Camry Expert/MR2 JR Xpert
MR2 & 96 V6 Cam
1,201 Posts
Subscrizzle.....lol :)

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
  • With the change in final drive, will our speedos compensate, or would one need to get it recalibrated?
The speedometer driven gear controls that. If you use an MR2T E153, keep its driven gear as it is calibrated for that final drive. The problem is that MY91-92 MR2T E153s use a mechanical, cable driven speedo with an attached electronic speed sensor, while MY93+ MR2T E153s use an electronic speedo like ALL Gen 3+ Camrys use.

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The issue with the axles as far as the e153 goes is fairly straight forward.
If you use an aftermarket LSD, you can use either Non-lsd or LSD turbo axles.
If you use a factory LSD, you can only use factory turbo LSD axles.
I'm pretty sure there's a bellhousing issue as far as swapping a MR2 e153 versus a Solara e153 into a Camry.
Thanks bro :thumbsup:
I'm assuming then that the MR2T axleshafts wouldn't work. That would mean custom axles then. How much do you think that would run? And I'm not thinking the whole trans (since I got the M/T), just the differential

The speedometer driven gear controls that. If you use an MR2T E153, keep its driven gear as it is calibrated for that final drive. The problem is that MY91-92 MR2T E153s use a mechanical, cable driven speedo with an attached electronic speed sensor, while MY93+ MR2T E153s use an electronic speedo like ALL Gen 3+ Camrys use.
Ah, awesome :) thanks a bundle :thumbsup:

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
Also, the center casing has a spot for mounting the gear selector on the front of the transaxle. Plug the front end with a rubber seal (it has an oil seal bushing to help with that). Remove the rear gear selector cover and use one designed for the Camry. It should mount up without issue. The other way to go about that is to swap the center casing, but there's no need for that.

The bellhousing mounting pattern is a tad different between the 91-92 and 93+ E153s. The 91-92s were made to bolt up to a 4 cylinder only, while the 93s were redesigned to have 100% bolt coverage on Toyota V6s. So, if you do get a hold of a 91-92 E153, just know that it won't bolt up with 360 degrees of bolts. It'll still work, but it's more of a frankentranny.

3,032 Posts
Thanks bro :thumbsup:
That would mean custom axles then. How much do you think that would run?:
Honestly don't have a clue. Driveshaftshop could probably make you one, but it'll cost you an arm, a leg, and probably your dick.. :facepalm:
On a lighter note, call Josh at ChicoRaceWorks.
http://www.chicoraceworks.com/contact.php
I know he has custom thicker e153 axles for +600whp applications (5SGTE of course, sorry, had to plug that in there lol) where people somehow snapped their axles.
He may be able to lead you in the right direction.
You may want to troll some V6 builds in the MR2 forum. As far as I know, the 1MZ is practically a straight drop in minus the custom wiring and passenger side motor mount.

·
Camry Expert/MR2 JR Xpert
MR2 & 96 V6 Cam
1,201 Posts
Honestly don't have a clue. Driveshaftshop could probably make you one, but it'll cost you an arm, a leg, and probably your dick.. :facepalm:
:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts