Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the easieast engines to swap into a pre 88 toy truck? I know chevy willl be the main answer, but I tend to favor ford. If I get a toyota, i'd like to swap inna Ford 4.0 or 302. I could do dodge as well. If just wanted mild power I assume the toy 3.0 v6 would swap in easy if i had all the wiring and computer?

Thanks guys!

·
1 of 1
66 Posts
Used to see people using buick v6s out of the grand nationals. Had bell housings & engine mount kits & stuff. Don't know if those are still around.

·
orange brick
1980 4x4 pickup
478 Posts
i would just put in another r series engine if it came with one. they are torquey enough for the little trucks, and they will out last anything else. if you want a V6, i would go with the 3.6 liter V6 from toyota. as far as V8s go, you could go with a chevy 350 or a ford 302. toyota also made a small 4.0 liter V8 that fit within the framerails. the problem with most of the v*s is that they are are heavier than the frame was made to withstand, so after time the frame gets tweeked.

·
1 of 1
66 Posts
I kinda started readin up on some stuff at toyotadiesel.com about conversions to the 2L & 3Ls & turbo versions of them. Makes me kinda want one, especially if it'll go on biodiesel or vegetable oil. Just thinking ahead to when gas will be more than anyone can afford (like it's not workin on that already). Some interesting stuff. Just don't think ethanol or hydrogen are viable answers. Electric won't do unless somebody breaks out with some hi performance battery technology advancements. Not much left except bicycles.

·
orange brick
1980 4x4 pickup
478 Posts
82prerunner said:
I kinda started readin up on some stuff at toyotadiesel.com about conversions to the 2L & 3Ls & turbo versions of them. Makes me kinda want one, especially if it'll go on biodiesel or vegetable oil. Just thinking ahead to when gas will be more than anyone can afford (like it's not workin on that already). Some interesting stuff. Just don't think ethanol or hydrogen are viable answers. Electric won't do unless somebody breaks out with some hi performance battery technology advancements. Not much left except bicycles.
my firend does vegeoil conversions on mercedes diesels and other vehicles ( http://dieseloilconversions.com ). the diesel engine would be a great engine to put in one of these trucks. hell, you could get a hiux with one.

·
1 of 1
66 Posts
80toy said:
my firend does vegeoil conversions on mercedes diesels and other vehicles ( http://dieseloilconversions.com ). the diesel engine would be a great engine to put in one of these trucks. hell, you could get a hiux with one.
Been there checkin out stuff. Never really considered diesel until checking out that site but very interested in the prospect of vegetable oil burning 2L-T or 3L-T. That would be so cool to just pull up to fast food places & have them pay me to haul off 30 gallons of their waste oil. LOL

·
7mRunner in progress
'86 Runner, '91 F250
2 Posts
7mge supra motor

I'm in the process of doing a "supra swap". Pretty straight forward and cheap if you find the right donor vehical. I haven't gotten to the wiring yet I'm waiting for the EWD's to show up.

7mge has approx. 200 hp and 190ftlbs torque stock. :clap:

If you get a turbo they can be bumped up to 400hp pretty easy. I've heard.

Here are some links:

Project: 4Crawler
Toyota 4-Runner/Supra Motor Swap - 22-RE Replaced by a Supra 7M-GE
Tobin's 1987 Toyota 4runner Supra Engine Swap
Off-Road.com BBS: 4RnrRick is getting a 7M-GE / 7MGE Motor swap

There are more.

·
Registered
jzx81 mark2
76 Posts
i put a 2jzge into my '88 hilux. heaps of power. faster than v-tec type r hondas.

the other engine that gets put into hilux's in nz is the 1uzfe the 4.0 v8 from the crown or soarer. they go real good. or if you want heaps of power, 2jzgte. plus you can get bellhouses(in nz) to fit these engines to the original gearbox. or use the supra gearbox.

http://www.freewebs.com/jzx81/88doublecabhilux.htm

·
1 of 1
66 Posts
jzx81 said:
i put a 2jzge into my '88 hilux. heaps of power. faster than v-tec type r hondas.

the other engine that gets put into hilux's in nz is the 1uzfe the 4.0 v8 from the crown or soarer. they go real good. or if you want heaps of power, 2jzgte. plus you can get bellhouses(in nz) to fit these engines to the original gearbox. or use the supra gearbox.

http://www.freewebs.com/jzx81/88doublecabhilux.htm
That's just cool stuff. Interesting how they didn't swap the battery over to the other side since right hand drive. I'm assuming this based on the master cylinder location. There'd be more room for an air filter if it was on the left. Still, cool stuff.

·
Registered
jzx81 mark2
76 Posts
yes it right had drive. i was going to move battery over to other side, and put in chaser airbox, but being a shorter engine bay, the pipes didint line up and it wasnt going to fit.
i have removed the flexi pipe and put a pod filter on. looks and goes better. i did this conversion in one day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts